Jan 11, 2011, 11:37 PM EST
In his first NHL game, Edmonton Oilers forward Linus Omark made an impact on the hockey world as well as the scoreboard with a controversial spin move and shootout goal against the Tampa Bay Lightning. Yet the one thing people couldn’t gripe about was the fact that Omark’s goal helped his team win.
Tuesday night’s Vancouver Canucks-New York Islanders game will add to the 2010-11 season’s slate of shootout spin moves that helped one team win while the opposition’s goalie was left smoldering. This time around, Canucks forward Mason Raymond spun left and then shot right past Islanders goalie Kevin Poulin.
Chris Botta quotes Poulin, who called it a “show-off move.” Too bad these two teams won’t be able settle this beef until next season, though. Check out video of the goalie at the bottom of this post.
This win pushes Vancouver to 14-0-3 in its last 17 games, marking the Canucks as the clear No. 1 team in the NHL right now. Luongo made 38 saves while Ryan Kesler scored one goal in the game and one goal in the shootout to help Vancouver squeak by a pesky Islanders team tonight.
The Canucks’ 62 standings points gives them a three-point lead over the Detroit Red Wings for first in the West and an identical lead over the Philadelphia Flyers for the top spot in the entire league. The Islanders are still well ahead of the Devils to avoid the bottom rank in the NHL, with 33 points to New Jersey’s pitiful 24.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 34
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 39
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)