Jan 11, 2011, 11:37 PM EDT
In his first NHL game, Edmonton Oilers forward Linus Omark made an impact on the hockey world as well as the scoreboard with a controversial spin move and shootout goal against the Tampa Bay Lightning. Yet the one thing people couldn’t gripe about was the fact that Omark’s goal helped his team win.
Tuesday night’s Vancouver Canucks-New York Islanders game will add to the 2010-11 season’s slate of shootout spin moves that helped one team win while the opposition’s goalie was left smoldering. This time around, Canucks forward Mason Raymond spun left and then shot right past Islanders goalie Kevin Poulin.
Chris Botta quotes Poulin, who called it a “show-off move.” Too bad these two teams won’t be able settle this beef until next season, though. Check out video of the goalie at the bottom of this post.
This win pushes Vancouver to 14-0-3 in its last 17 games, marking the Canucks as the clear No. 1 team in the NHL right now. Luongo made 38 saves while Ryan Kesler scored one goal in the game and one goal in the shootout to help Vancouver squeak by a pesky Islanders team tonight.
The Canucks’ 62 standings points gives them a three-point lead over the Detroit Red Wings for first in the West and an identical lead over the Philadelphia Flyers for the top spot in the entire league. The Islanders are still well ahead of the Devils to avoid the bottom rank in the NHL, with 33 points to New Jersey’s pitiful 24.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)