Jan 11, 2011, 11:37 PM EST
In his first NHL game, Edmonton Oilers forward Linus Omark made an impact on the hockey world as well as the scoreboard with a controversial spin move and shootout goal against the Tampa Bay Lightning. Yet the one thing people couldn’t gripe about was the fact that Omark’s goal helped his team win.
Tuesday night’s Vancouver Canucks-New York Islanders game will add to the 2010-11 season’s slate of shootout spin moves that helped one team win while the opposition’s goalie was left smoldering. This time around, Canucks forward Mason Raymond spun left and then shot right past Islanders goalie Kevin Poulin.
Chris Botta quotes Poulin, who called it a “show-off move.” Too bad these two teams won’t be able settle this beef until next season, though. Check out video of the goalie at the bottom of this post.
This win pushes Vancouver to 14-0-3 in its last 17 games, marking the Canucks as the clear No. 1 team in the NHL right now. Luongo made 38 saves while Ryan Kesler scored one goal in the game and one goal in the shootout to help Vancouver squeak by a pesky Islanders team tonight.
The Canucks’ 62 standings points gives them a three-point lead over the Detroit Red Wings for first in the West and an identical lead over the Philadelphia Flyers for the top spot in the entire league. The Islanders are still well ahead of the Devils to avoid the bottom rank in the NHL, with 33 points to New Jersey’s pitiful 24.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)