Jan 11, 2011, 11:37 PM EST
In his first NHL game, Edmonton Oilers forward Linus Omark made an impact on the hockey world as well as the scoreboard with a controversial spin move and shootout goal against the Tampa Bay Lightning. Yet the one thing people couldn’t gripe about was the fact that Omark’s goal helped his team win.
Tuesday night’s Vancouver Canucks-New York Islanders game will add to the 2010-11 season’s slate of shootout spin moves that helped one team win while the opposition’s goalie was left smoldering. This time around, Canucks forward Mason Raymond spun left and then shot right past Islanders goalie Kevin Poulin.
Chris Botta quotes Poulin, who called it a “show-off move.” Too bad these two teams won’t be able settle this beef until next season, though. Check out video of the goalie at the bottom of this post.
This win pushes Vancouver to 14-0-3 in its last 17 games, marking the Canucks as the clear No. 1 team in the NHL right now. Luongo made 38 saves while Ryan Kesler scored one goal in the game and one goal in the shootout to help Vancouver squeak by a pesky Islanders team tonight.
The Canucks’ 62 standings points gives them a three-point lead over the Detroit Red Wings for first in the West and an identical lead over the Philadelphia Flyers for the top spot in the entire league. The Islanders are still well ahead of the Devils to avoid the bottom rank in the NHL, with 33 points to New Jersey’s pitiful 24.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)