Jan 11, 2011, 9:49 PM EST
While no goal of the week winner can be called bland by any means, there are some weeks in which the choices are slim or the top tally doesn’t stand out as something truly special.
The first full week of January produced some great moments, though. Even the nominees who didn’t earn many votes were brought something to the table. The Russian junior team’s five goal outburst in the gold medal game against Team Canada was outstanding on its own, but throwing in their ridiculous celebration really makes that clip worth watching.
Yet the top two stood out the most. The second-ranked clip featured Alex Ovechkin, who normally steals the show with his impressive goals. This time around, he scored a falling goal against the Florida Panthers.
Normally that might win it, but Jamie Benn‘s amazing deke around Cam Barker earned the most votes. Check out the poll results.
Watch video of the goal below.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 1
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 25
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)