Jan 11, 2011, 9:49 PM EST
While no goal of the week winner can be called bland by any means, there are some weeks in which the choices are slim or the top tally doesn’t stand out as something truly special.
The first full week of January produced some great moments, though. Even the nominees who didn’t earn many votes were brought something to the table. The Russian junior team’s five goal outburst in the gold medal game against Team Canada was outstanding on its own, but throwing in their ridiculous celebration really makes that clip worth watching.
Yet the top two stood out the most. The second-ranked clip featured Alex Ovechkin, who normally steals the show with his impressive goals. This time around, he scored a falling goal against the Florida Panthers.
Normally that might win it, but Jamie Benn‘s amazing deke around Cam Barker earned the most votes. Check out the poll results.
Watch video of the goal below.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)