Jan 11, 2011, 9:49 PM EDT
While no goal of the week winner can be called bland by any means, there are some weeks in which the choices are slim or the top tally doesn’t stand out as something truly special.
The first full week of January produced some great moments, though. Even the nominees who didn’t earn many votes were brought something to the table. The Russian junior team’s five goal outburst in the gold medal game against Team Canada was outstanding on its own, but throwing in their ridiculous celebration really makes that clip worth watching.
Yet the top two stood out the most. The second-ranked clip featured Alex Ovechkin, who normally steals the show with his impressive goals. This time around, he scored a falling goal against the Florida Panthers.
Normally that might win it, but Jamie Benn‘s amazing deke around Cam Barker earned the most votes. Check out the poll results.
Watch video of the goal below.
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 3
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14