Jan 11, 2011, 9:49 PM EST
While no goal of the week winner can be called bland by any means, there are some weeks in which the choices are slim or the top tally doesn’t stand out as something truly special.
The first full week of January produced some great moments, though. Even the nominees who didn’t earn many votes were brought something to the table. The Russian junior team’s five goal outburst in the gold medal game against Team Canada was outstanding on its own, but throwing in their ridiculous celebration really makes that clip worth watching.
Yet the top two stood out the most. The second-ranked clip featured Alex Ovechkin, who normally steals the show with his impressive goals. This time around, he scored a falling goal against the Florida Panthers.
Normally that might win it, but Jamie Benn‘s amazing deke around Cam Barker earned the most votes. Check out the poll results.
Watch video of the goal below.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35