Jan 11, 2011, 9:49 PM EDT
While no goal of the week winner can be called bland by any means, there are some weeks in which the choices are slim or the top tally doesn’t stand out as something truly special.
The first full week of January produced some great moments, though. Even the nominees who didn’t earn many votes were brought something to the table. The Russian junior team’s five goal outburst in the gold medal game against Team Canada was outstanding on its own, but throwing in their ridiculous celebration really makes that clip worth watching.
Yet the top two stood out the most. The second-ranked clip featured Alex Ovechkin, who normally steals the show with his impressive goals. This time around, he scored a falling goal against the Florida Panthers.
Normally that might win it, but Jamie Benn‘s amazing deke around Cam Barker earned the most votes. Check out the poll results.
Watch video of the goal below.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)