Jan 10, 2011, 9:00 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
The decision to name Sunday night’s best save(s) came down to Minnesota Wild backup Jose Theodore’s nice glove stop against the Dallas Stars in a 4-0 loss and Chicago Blackhawks backup-turned-starter Corey Crawford’s pair of saves vs. the New York Islanders.
Theodore made a rather unusual glove save in a desperation situation while Crawford made two impressive stops. The first one is an example of Crawford’s impressive lateral movement as Josh Bailey to a split second too long to get control of the puck before attempting to bury a one-timer. The second is an impressive glove save on a Michael Grabner chance.
Ultimately, Crawford earned the win, a 29-save shutout and put together two impressive saves, so it seemed like he deserved the split decision. The PHT audience wins too, as you receive a bonus video clip to help enhance your cubicle time/school meanderings/whatever it is you’re doing for just a bit longer.
Crawford’s save against Bailey:
Crawford’s save versus Grabner:
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)