Nostalgic night in Chicago: Blackhawks honor ’61 squad, will build Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita statues
Jan 10, 2011, 7:00 AM EST
You cannot ask for a much better night for the Chicago Blackhawks than last night, whether you’re a relatively new fan (who must have enjoyed the team’s 5-0 win against the New York Islanders) or someone who’s been there since their second most recent Stanley Cup victory.
The latter group can look back at Sunday, January 9th 2011 as a truly fantastic night. On an evening when the team held one of its many heritage night ceremonies to honor the 1961 Stanley Cup winning club, the franchise also announced a celebration of that team’s dynamic duo.
Team president Rocky Wirtz told Stan Mikita and Bobby Hull the exciting news before the game: the team will construct statues for the two great players, which will be located outside the United Center (much like Michael Jordan’s bronze likeness represents the gravy days of the NBA’s Chicago Bulls).
You can read the two great former players’ thoughts in this article here and check out Bobby Hull’s thoughts about the ’61 team in the video below.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 32
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)