Nostalgic night in Chicago: Blackhawks honor ’61 squad, will build Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita statues
Jan 10, 2011, 7:00 AM EDT
You cannot ask for a much better night for the Chicago Blackhawks than last night, whether you’re a relatively new fan (who must have enjoyed the team’s 5-0 win against the New York Islanders) or someone who’s been there since their second most recent Stanley Cup victory.
The latter group can look back at Sunday, January 9th 2011 as a truly fantastic night. On an evening when the team held one of its many heritage night ceremonies to honor the 1961 Stanley Cup winning club, the franchise also announced a celebration of that team’s dynamic duo.
Team president Rocky Wirtz told Stan Mikita and Bobby Hull the exciting news before the game: the team will construct statues for the two great players, which will be located outside the United Center (much like Michael Jordan’s bronze likeness represents the gravy days of the NBA’s Chicago Bulls).
You can read the two great former players’ thoughts in this article here and check out Bobby Hull’s thoughts about the ’61 team in the video below.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 47
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 50
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)