Nostalgic night in Chicago: Blackhawks honor ’61 squad, will build Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita statues
Jan 10, 2011, 7:00 AM EDT
You cannot ask for a much better night for the Chicago Blackhawks than last night, whether you’re a relatively new fan (who must have enjoyed the team’s 5-0 win against the New York Islanders) or someone who’s been there since their second most recent Stanley Cup victory.
The latter group can look back at Sunday, January 9th 2011 as a truly fantastic night. On an evening when the team held one of its many heritage night ceremonies to honor the 1961 Stanley Cup winning club, the franchise also announced a celebration of that team’s dynamic duo.
Team president Rocky Wirtz told Stan Mikita and Bobby Hull the exciting news before the game: the team will construct statues for the two great players, which will be located outside the United Center (much like Michael Jordan’s bronze likeness represents the gravy days of the NBA’s Chicago Bulls).
You can read the two great former players’ thoughts in this article here and check out Bobby Hull’s thoughts about the ’61 team in the video below.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 64
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)