Nostalgic night in Chicago: Blackhawks honor ’61 squad, will build Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita statues
Jan 10, 2011, 7:00 AM EDT
You cannot ask for a much better night for the Chicago Blackhawks than last night, whether you’re a relatively new fan (who must have enjoyed the team’s 5-0 win against the New York Islanders) or someone who’s been there since their second most recent Stanley Cup victory.
The latter group can look back at Sunday, January 9th 2011 as a truly fantastic night. On an evening when the team held one of its many heritage night ceremonies to honor the 1961 Stanley Cup winning club, the franchise also announced a celebration of that team’s dynamic duo.
Team president Rocky Wirtz told Stan Mikita and Bobby Hull the exciting news before the game: the team will construct statues for the two great players, which will be located outside the United Center (much like Michael Jordan’s bronze likeness represents the gravy days of the NBA’s Chicago Bulls).
You can read the two great former players’ thoughts in this article here and check out Bobby Hull’s thoughts about the ’61 team in the video below.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)