Nostalgic night in Chicago: Blackhawks honor ’61 squad, will build Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita statues
Jan 10, 2011, 7:00 AM EST
You cannot ask for a much better night for the Chicago Blackhawks than last night, whether you’re a relatively new fan (who must have enjoyed the team’s 5-0 win against the New York Islanders) or someone who’s been there since their second most recent Stanley Cup victory.
The latter group can look back at Sunday, January 9th 2011 as a truly fantastic night. On an evening when the team held one of its many heritage night ceremonies to honor the 1961 Stanley Cup winning club, the franchise also announced a celebration of that team’s dynamic duo.
Team president Rocky Wirtz told Stan Mikita and Bobby Hull the exciting news before the game: the team will construct statues for the two great players, which will be located outside the United Center (much like Michael Jordan’s bronze likeness represents the gravy days of the NBA’s Chicago Bulls).
You can read the two great former players’ thoughts in this article here and check out Bobby Hull’s thoughts about the ’61 team in the video below.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 26
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)