Jan 10, 2011, 10:56 PM EDT
The Penguins appeared to be in cruise control for 55 minutes of tonight’s home game against the Bruins. They were coasting behind stellar play of Marc-Andre Fleury and goals from Mike Rupp and Kris Letang. After a horrible final 3:23 the Penguins would end up 4-2 losers to the Bruins.
A boarding penalty by Brooks Orpik at 14:39 of the third and a power play goal from Zdeno Chara 1:58 later, the Bruins were on the board and back in the game. 12 seconds after Chara’s goal, Brad Marchand put home a loose puck to tie the game at two. Things would only get worse from there.
At 17:52, Jordan Staal would get booked for holding and at 19:10 the ageless Mark Recchi would put the Bruins ahead with a net-crashing power play goal. The Bruins would salt it away with a Gregory Campbell empty net goal to send the Penguins away a loser for the fifth time in their last six games. The Penguins also continue to be winless without Sidney Crosby in the lineup, a point that’s getting noticed around the league.
For Boston, it’s a great bounce back win after a similar collapse against Montreal on Saturday night. The Bruins also fumbled away a 2-0 third period lead and ended up losing 3-2 in overtime to the Canadiens. If there’s a lesson here for Pittsburgh, it’s that you can put a gut-punch of a loss behind you fast and bounce back the next time out. For these Penguins, however, they’re showing that Crosby is guy that does it all for them and without him on the ice they struggle generating offense. The Pens will get a chance to bounce back on Wednesday night in Montreal.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games