Jan 10, 2011, 10:56 PM EDT
The Penguins appeared to be in cruise control for 55 minutes of tonight’s home game against the Bruins. They were coasting behind stellar play of Marc-Andre Fleury and goals from Mike Rupp and Kris Letang. After a horrible final 3:23 the Penguins would end up 4-2 losers to the Bruins.
A boarding penalty by Brooks Orpik at 14:39 of the third and a power play goal from Zdeno Chara 1:58 later, the Bruins were on the board and back in the game. 12 seconds after Chara’s goal, Brad Marchand put home a loose puck to tie the game at two. Things would only get worse from there.
At 17:52, Jordan Staal would get booked for holding and at 19:10 the ageless Mark Recchi would put the Bruins ahead with a net-crashing power play goal. The Bruins would salt it away with a Gregory Campbell empty net goal to send the Penguins away a loser for the fifth time in their last six games. The Penguins also continue to be winless without Sidney Crosby in the lineup, a point that’s getting noticed around the league.
For Boston, it’s a great bounce back win after a similar collapse against Montreal on Saturday night. The Bruins also fumbled away a 2-0 third period lead and ended up losing 3-2 in overtime to the Canadiens. If there’s a lesson here for Pittsburgh, it’s that you can put a gut-punch of a loss behind you fast and bounce back the next time out. For these Penguins, however, they’re showing that Crosby is guy that does it all for them and without him on the ice they struggle generating offense. The Pens will get a chance to bounce back on Wednesday night in Montreal.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7