Jan 10, 2011, 10:56 PM EST
The Penguins appeared to be in cruise control for 55 minutes of tonight’s home game against the Bruins. They were coasting behind stellar play of Marc-Andre Fleury and goals from Mike Rupp and Kris Letang. After a horrible final 3:23 the Penguins would end up 4-2 losers to the Bruins.
A boarding penalty by Brooks Orpik at 14:39 of the third and a power play goal from Zdeno Chara 1:58 later, the Bruins were on the board and back in the game. 12 seconds after Chara’s goal, Brad Marchand put home a loose puck to tie the game at two. Things would only get worse from there.
At 17:52, Jordan Staal would get booked for holding and at 19:10 the ageless Mark Recchi would put the Bruins ahead with a net-crashing power play goal. The Bruins would salt it away with a Gregory Campbell empty net goal to send the Penguins away a loser for the fifth time in their last six games. The Penguins also continue to be winless without Sidney Crosby in the lineup, a point that’s getting noticed around the league.
For Boston, it’s a great bounce back win after a similar collapse against Montreal on Saturday night. The Bruins also fumbled away a 2-0 third period lead and ended up losing 3-2 in overtime to the Canadiens. If there’s a lesson here for Pittsburgh, it’s that you can put a gut-punch of a loss behind you fast and bounce back the next time out. For these Penguins, however, they’re showing that Crosby is guy that does it all for them and without him on the ice they struggle generating offense. The Pens will get a chance to bounce back on Wednesday night in Montreal.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 0
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 2
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)