Jan 10, 2011, 10:56 PM EDT
The Penguins appeared to be in cruise control for 55 minutes of tonight’s home game against the Bruins. They were coasting behind stellar play of Marc-Andre Fleury and goals from Mike Rupp and Kris Letang. After a horrible final 3:23 the Penguins would end up 4-2 losers to the Bruins.
A boarding penalty by Brooks Orpik at 14:39 of the third and a power play goal from Zdeno Chara 1:58 later, the Bruins were on the board and back in the game. 12 seconds after Chara’s goal, Brad Marchand put home a loose puck to tie the game at two. Things would only get worse from there.
At 17:52, Jordan Staal would get booked for holding and at 19:10 the ageless Mark Recchi would put the Bruins ahead with a net-crashing power play goal. The Bruins would salt it away with a Gregory Campbell empty net goal to send the Penguins away a loser for the fifth time in their last six games. The Penguins also continue to be winless without Sidney Crosby in the lineup, a point that’s getting noticed around the league.
For Boston, it’s a great bounce back win after a similar collapse against Montreal on Saturday night. The Bruins also fumbled away a 2-0 third period lead and ended up losing 3-2 in overtime to the Canadiens. If there’s a lesson here for Pittsburgh, it’s that you can put a gut-punch of a loss behind you fast and bounce back the next time out. For these Penguins, however, they’re showing that Crosby is guy that does it all for them and without him on the ice they struggle generating offense. The Pens will get a chance to bounce back on Wednesday night in Montreal.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)