Jan 10, 2011, 3:43 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings placed star forward Pavel Datsyuk on the injured reserve today to make room for minor league call-up goalie Joey MacDonald.
Datsyuk missed nine games so far this season with a broken hand and is expected to be out for about a month going forward.
In the mean time, Henrik Zetterberg has been taking up the mantle as the team’s undisputed best player in his absence. Beginning with a two-goal, one assist performance during the December 22nd game in which Datsyuk was injured, Zetterberg scored at least one point in those nine games without the Russian forward. The slick Swede scored five goals and nine assists for 14 points of his 47 points from this season in that nine-game span.
Datsyuk was leading the Red Wings at the time of his injury, with 12 goals and 27 assists for 39 points in 33 games played. We’ll keep you updated once the all-world forward gets closer to returning from injury.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 8
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 37
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 89
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (89)