Jan 10, 2011, 3:43 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings placed star forward Pavel Datsyuk on the injured reserve today to make room for minor league call-up goalie Joey MacDonald.
Datsyuk missed nine games so far this season with a broken hand and is expected to be out for about a month going forward.
In the mean time, Henrik Zetterberg has been taking up the mantle as the team’s undisputed best player in his absence. Beginning with a two-goal, one assist performance during the December 22nd game in which Datsyuk was injured, Zetterberg scored at least one point in those nine games without the Russian forward. The slick Swede scored five goals and nine assists for 14 points of his 47 points from this season in that nine-game span.
Datsyuk was leading the Red Wings at the time of his injury, with 12 goals and 27 assists for 39 points in 33 games played. We’ll keep you updated once the all-world forward gets closer to returning from injury.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)