Jan 10, 2011, 3:43 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings placed star forward Pavel Datsyuk on the injured reserve today to make room for minor league call-up goalie Joey MacDonald.
Datsyuk missed nine games so far this season with a broken hand and is expected to be out for about a month going forward.
In the mean time, Henrik Zetterberg has been taking up the mantle as the team’s undisputed best player in his absence. Beginning with a two-goal, one assist performance during the December 22nd game in which Datsyuk was injured, Zetterberg scored at least one point in those nine games without the Russian forward. The slick Swede scored five goals and nine assists for 14 points of his 47 points from this season in that nine-game span.
Datsyuk was leading the Red Wings at the time of his injury, with 12 goals and 27 assists for 39 points in 33 games played. We’ll keep you updated once the all-world forward gets closer to returning from injury.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 4
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 18
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9