Jan 10, 2011, 3:43 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings placed star forward Pavel Datsyuk on the injured reserve today to make room for minor league call-up goalie Joey MacDonald.
Datsyuk missed nine games so far this season with a broken hand and is expected to be out for about a month going forward.
In the mean time, Henrik Zetterberg has been taking up the mantle as the team’s undisputed best player in his absence. Beginning with a two-goal, one assist performance during the December 22nd game in which Datsyuk was injured, Zetterberg scored at least one point in those nine games without the Russian forward. The slick Swede scored five goals and nine assists for 14 points of his 47 points from this season in that nine-game span.
Datsyuk was leading the Red Wings at the time of his injury, with 12 goals and 27 assists for 39 points in 33 games played. We’ll keep you updated once the all-world forward gets closer to returning from injury.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)