Jan 10, 2011, 3:43 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings placed star forward Pavel Datsyuk on the injured reserve today to make room for minor league call-up goalie Joey MacDonald.
Datsyuk missed nine games so far this season with a broken hand and is expected to be out for about a month going forward.
In the mean time, Henrik Zetterberg has been taking up the mantle as the team’s undisputed best player in his absence. Beginning with a two-goal, one assist performance during the December 22nd game in which Datsyuk was injured, Zetterberg scored at least one point in those nine games without the Russian forward. The slick Swede scored five goals and nine assists for 14 points of his 47 points from this season in that nine-game span.
Datsyuk was leading the Red Wings at the time of his injury, with 12 goals and 27 assists for 39 points in 33 games played. We’ll keep you updated once the all-world forward gets closer to returning from injury.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)