Jan 10, 2011, 7:24 PM EST
Yesterday we told you about how Red Wings backup goalie Chris Osgood would be out of the lineup for a bit with a groin injury. While the Red Wings were hoping for it to be something minor, it’s anything but that. Osgood will undergo surgery to repair a sports hernia, an ailment that will put him on the shelf anywhere from six to eight weeks. For the Wings and starting goalie Jimmy Howard, it’s unwelcome news as Howard has been taxed a bit more of late with injuries to other teammates causing him to be a bit busier than normal.
Detroit recalled NHL journeyman Joey McDonald to take Osgood’s spot in the lineup. McDonald has NHL experience with Detroit, Toronto, and the Islanders. The pressure is now on Jimmy Howard to perform at a peak level while Osgood is out, inviting Joey McDonald into too many games would be a huge problem for Detroit.
Osgood joins Dan Cleary, Mike Modano, Brad Stuart, and Pavel Datsyuk on Detroit’s injury list. If this seems all too familiar to last season for Detroit fans, the similarities are getting creepy as the Wings battled injuries all season long before finally getting healthy in the final month of the season. Things aren’t quite as rough this year for Detroit and they’re succeeding in spite of the injuries, but anything else going wrong would cause major headaches in Motor City.
- Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 32
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)