Jan 10, 2011, 7:24 PM EST
Yesterday we told you about how Red Wings backup goalie Chris Osgood would be out of the lineup for a bit with a groin injury. While the Red Wings were hoping for it to be something minor, it’s anything but that. Osgood will undergo surgery to repair a sports hernia, an ailment that will put him on the shelf anywhere from six to eight weeks. For the Wings and starting goalie Jimmy Howard, it’s unwelcome news as Howard has been taxed a bit more of late with injuries to other teammates causing him to be a bit busier than normal.
Detroit recalled NHL journeyman Joey McDonald to take Osgood’s spot in the lineup. McDonald has NHL experience with Detroit, Toronto, and the Islanders. The pressure is now on Jimmy Howard to perform at a peak level while Osgood is out, inviting Joey McDonald into too many games would be a huge problem for Detroit.
Osgood joins Dan Cleary, Mike Modano, Brad Stuart, and Pavel Datsyuk on Detroit’s injury list. If this seems all too familiar to last season for Detroit fans, the similarities are getting creepy as the Wings battled injuries all season long before finally getting healthy in the final month of the season. Things aren’t quite as rough this year for Detroit and they’re succeeding in spite of the injuries, but anything else going wrong would cause major headaches in Motor City.
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 9
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 23
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 8
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)