Jan 10, 2011, 7:24 PM EDT
Yesterday we told you about how Red Wings backup goalie Chris Osgood would be out of the lineup for a bit with a groin injury. While the Red Wings were hoping for it to be something minor, it’s anything but that. Osgood will undergo surgery to repair a sports hernia, an ailment that will put him on the shelf anywhere from six to eight weeks. For the Wings and starting goalie Jimmy Howard, it’s unwelcome news as Howard has been taxed a bit more of late with injuries to other teammates causing him to be a bit busier than normal.
Detroit recalled NHL journeyman Joey McDonald to take Osgood’s spot in the lineup. McDonald has NHL experience with Detroit, Toronto, and the Islanders. The pressure is now on Jimmy Howard to perform at a peak level while Osgood is out, inviting Joey McDonald into too many games would be a huge problem for Detroit.
Osgood joins Dan Cleary, Mike Modano, Brad Stuart, and Pavel Datsyuk on Detroit’s injury list. If this seems all too familiar to last season for Detroit fans, the similarities are getting creepy as the Wings battled injuries all season long before finally getting healthy in the final month of the season. Things aren’t quite as rough this year for Detroit and they’re succeeding in spite of the injuries, but anything else going wrong would cause major headaches in Motor City.
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 21
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day on PHT 11