Jan 10, 2011, 4:52 PM EDT
Let’s take a gander around at tonight’s four games, which provide some interesting contests. All the start times are Eastern Standard Time (ET).
Boston @ Pittsburgh
Sidney Crosby won’t be able to help the Penguins overcome a stingy Bruins defense, as this contest pits two good (but struggling) Eastern Conference teams against each other. Boston is coming off of a frustrating overtime loss to hated divisional rival Montreal, who overcame a 2-0 Bruins lead with only two and a half minutes left in the third. Things are even worse for the Penguins, losing five out their last seven games (2-3-2).
Phoenix @ St. Louis
The Blues are stout at home (14 wins in St. Louis vs. only six on the road), but the Coyotes are pretty rugged on the road (11-8-4) so this should be an interesting match. Both teams are very stingy on defense and unproductive on offense, so maybe it won’t be that interesting.
Detroit @ Colorado
The Avalanche aren’t all the way there yet, but could we see that great ’90s rivalry rekindled? No doubt about it, the hockey should be fascinating even if it might not be even matched. Colorado plays a fast, aggressive style that makes them one of those sneaky awesome teams to watch. We don’t have to pump up the quality of play in Detroit, so put these two squads together and the odds are high you’ll get something good to watch.
Toronto @ Los Angeles
Want to get fans of the Maple Leafs and Kings in a slap-fight? Just send them a link to this clip and let them have at it. (Disclaimer: PHT is not responsible for broken furniture and any other issues related to such an argument. Reference uncalled high sticking penalties at your own risk.)
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)