Jan 10, 2011, 4:52 PM EDT
Let’s take a gander around at tonight’s four games, which provide some interesting contests. All the start times are Eastern Standard Time (ET).
Boston @ Pittsburgh
Sidney Crosby won’t be able to help the Penguins overcome a stingy Bruins defense, as this contest pits two good (but struggling) Eastern Conference teams against each other. Boston is coming off of a frustrating overtime loss to hated divisional rival Montreal, who overcame a 2-0 Bruins lead with only two and a half minutes left in the third. Things are even worse for the Penguins, losing five out their last seven games (2-3-2).
Phoenix @ St. Louis
The Blues are stout at home (14 wins in St. Louis vs. only six on the road), but the Coyotes are pretty rugged on the road (11-8-4) so this should be an interesting match. Both teams are very stingy on defense and unproductive on offense, so maybe it won’t be that interesting.
Detroit @ Colorado
The Avalanche aren’t all the way there yet, but could we see that great ’90s rivalry rekindled? No doubt about it, the hockey should be fascinating even if it might not be even matched. Colorado plays a fast, aggressive style that makes them one of those sneaky awesome teams to watch. We don’t have to pump up the quality of play in Detroit, so put these two squads together and the odds are high you’ll get something good to watch.
Toronto @ Los Angeles
Want to get fans of the Maple Leafs and Kings in a slap-fight? Just send them a link to this clip and let them have at it. (Disclaimer: PHT is not responsible for broken furniture and any other issues related to such an argument. Reference uncalled high sticking penalties at your own risk.)
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games