Jan 10, 2011, 4:52 PM EDT
Let’s take a gander around at tonight’s four games, which provide some interesting contests. All the start times are Eastern Standard Time (ET).
Boston @ Pittsburgh
Sidney Crosby won’t be able to help the Penguins overcome a stingy Bruins defense, as this contest pits two good (but struggling) Eastern Conference teams against each other. Boston is coming off of a frustrating overtime loss to hated divisional rival Montreal, who overcame a 2-0 Bruins lead with only two and a half minutes left in the third. Things are even worse for the Penguins, losing five out their last seven games (2-3-2).
Phoenix @ St. Louis
The Blues are stout at home (14 wins in St. Louis vs. only six on the road), but the Coyotes are pretty rugged on the road (11-8-4) so this should be an interesting match. Both teams are very stingy on defense and unproductive on offense, so maybe it won’t be that interesting.
Detroit @ Colorado
The Avalanche aren’t all the way there yet, but could we see that great ’90s rivalry rekindled? No doubt about it, the hockey should be fascinating even if it might not be even matched. Colorado plays a fast, aggressive style that makes them one of those sneaky awesome teams to watch. We don’t have to pump up the quality of play in Detroit, so put these two squads together and the odds are high you’ll get something good to watch.
Toronto @ Los Angeles
Want to get fans of the Maple Leafs and Kings in a slap-fight? Just send them a link to this clip and let them have at it. (Disclaimer: PHT is not responsible for broken furniture and any other issues related to such an argument. Reference uncalled high sticking penalties at your own risk.)
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 0
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 40
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)