Jan 9, 2011, 9:37 PM EDT
Thousands of goals are scored against goalies in the NHL every year, so it’s a special occasion if a netminder even earns an assist. Yet with the influx of puck handling goalies, the threat of a goalie scoring a goal has increased substantially.
(Click here to read the full list of goalies who have been credited with a goal, although some of them can be attributed to own goals.)
Although hothead goalie/New York Islanders dynasty linchpin Billy Smith is the first goalie credited with a goal, Philadelphia Flyers star Ron Hextall was the first to score a goal by shooting into a net. It probably shouldn’t be a surprise that many goalies were inspired by Hextall’s ability to play the puck, even beyond those two goals he scored in his entertaining career.
Martin Brodeur is one of the best puckhandlers in the history of the game, with two goals to his credit. So whenever a team empties its net against the New Jersey Devils, there’s that expectation that Brodeur might send a puck toward the net.
He tried it out during the Devils’ surprising 6-3 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning today but instead of scoring another empty net goal, Brodeur assisted on Nick Palmieri’s first career NHL goal. (Yup, that means Marty has one more career goal than Palmieri at this point.)
Take a look at the video below.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 7
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 18
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)