Jan 9, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Jimmy Howard of the Detroit Red Wings had to come up with a big night to instill hope and confidence that he could carry the load for the Wings. With Chris Osgood being a late scratch for their game last night and potentially being out for some time with a groin injury, the pressure was on Howard to come up big against the West-leading Canucks.
Making matters worse was the Canucks entering the game with an eight-game win streak. Daunting odds for just about any goaltender, but Howard answered the bell in flashy ways like he did to Daniel Sedin. Sedin got his chance to beat Howard early in the first period, but his efforts were thwarted thanks to a diving glove save to prevent Vancouver from jumping out to an early lead. Howard was good all night long as the Wings went on to win 2-1 in a shootout. As for his stop on Daniel Sedin, have a look for yourself.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34