Jan 9, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Jimmy Howard of the Detroit Red Wings had to come up with a big night to instill hope and confidence that he could carry the load for the Wings. With Chris Osgood being a late scratch for their game last night and potentially being out for some time with a groin injury, the pressure was on Howard to come up big against the West-leading Canucks.
Making matters worse was the Canucks entering the game with an eight-game win streak. Daunting odds for just about any goaltender, but Howard answered the bell in flashy ways like he did to Daniel Sedin. Sedin got his chance to beat Howard early in the first period, but his efforts were thwarted thanks to a diving glove save to prevent Vancouver from jumping out to an early lead. Howard was good all night long as the Wings went on to win 2-1 in a shootout. As for his stop on Daniel Sedin, have a look for yourself.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 11
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 32
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 44
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10