Jan 9, 2011, 9:30 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Jimmy Howard of the Detroit Red Wings had to come up with a big night to instill hope and confidence that he could carry the load for the Wings. With Chris Osgood being a late scratch for their game last night and potentially being out for some time with a groin injury, the pressure was on Howard to come up big against the West-leading Canucks.
Making matters worse was the Canucks entering the game with an eight-game win streak. Daunting odds for just about any goaltender, but Howard answered the bell in flashy ways like he did to Daniel Sedin. Sedin got his chance to beat Howard early in the first period, but his efforts were thwarted thanks to a diving glove save to prevent Vancouver from jumping out to an early lead. Howard was good all night long as the Wings went on to win 2-1 in a shootout. As for his stop on Daniel Sedin, have a look for yourself.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 51
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (51)