Jan 9, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Jimmy Howard of the Detroit Red Wings had to come up with a big night to instill hope and confidence that he could carry the load for the Wings. With Chris Osgood being a late scratch for their game last night and potentially being out for some time with a groin injury, the pressure was on Howard to come up big against the West-leading Canucks.
Making matters worse was the Canucks entering the game with an eight-game win streak. Daunting odds for just about any goaltender, but Howard answered the bell in flashy ways like he did to Daniel Sedin. Sedin got his chance to beat Howard early in the first period, but his efforts were thwarted thanks to a diving glove save to prevent Vancouver from jumping out to an early lead. Howard was good all night long as the Wings went on to win 2-1 in a shootout. As for his stop on Daniel Sedin, have a look for yourself.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 40
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (40)