Jan 9, 2011, 11:51 PM EDT
You have to be at least a little bit crazy to be a hockey player and maybe professionally insane to be a professional hockey player.
From blocking shots to the very real risk of getting a wooden stick to the face to hitting and being hit, there are plenty of ways to experience the painful sides of the sport. Really, what other sport rewards you for bleeding like hockey does? (A high sticking penalty can become a double minor if it draws the red stuff.)
So telling hockey players to worry about their safety is akin to scolding Matt Hoffman for ignoring the reality of gravity. Sure, they’re paid to score goals and skate like the wind, but part of that paycheck comes with the understanding that their bodies won’t be the same after every season.
Yet there are ways to make the dangerous sport at least a bit less life-threatening. Curbing hits to the head is one measure the league is striving to reduce. One debate that tends to crop up when someone suffers a scary facial or eye injury is whether or not the league/NHL players association should force its athletes to wear visors. With that in mind, we asked PHT readers if they thought that all players should face a mandate to don them, if incoming players should be forced to wear them while current players would be “grandfathered in” or if the status quo of players making their own choice should remain in place. Here are the poll results.
It might look like the voting results are pretty close, but there are two variations on the affirmative, splitting the votes a bit. So really, more than two-thirds of PHT readers want NHL players to be required to wear visors in some way while less than one-third would prefer it to stay the same.
Personally, I prefer the “Yes, but let current players be grandfathered in” option, but can live with the status quo. If hockey players want to take huge risks with their eyesight, that’s their choice. After all, they’re not very shy about taking bold risks in general.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)