Jan 9, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
We’ve gotten used to seeing amazing efforts out of Alex Ovechkin over the years. Whether he’s beating the Coyotes from his stomach without looking or beating the Habs from his backside with a pool cue shot, we’ve seen some pretty incredible things over his career. While his goal tonight against the Panthers on Scott Clemmensen might not rank out as an all-time great goal, it’s pretty remarkable just the same.
With the Caps holding a 2-1 lead at the time, Ovechkin sailed up the left wing side into the Panthers zone. With the defense collapsing in on him, Ovechkin drove to the net and got a shot away while getting his feet taken out and Clemmensen was helpless to stop the Ovi onslaught. Ovechkin’s goal put the Caps ahead 3-1 and his goal was the difference maker as the Caps went on to win 3-2 over Florida. Ovi’s goal is worth a second and third look to see what grace under pressure looks like.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)