Jan 9, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
We’ve gotten used to seeing amazing efforts out of Alex Ovechkin over the years. Whether he’s beating the Coyotes from his stomach without looking or beating the Habs from his backside with a pool cue shot, we’ve seen some pretty incredible things over his career. While his goal tonight against the Panthers on Scott Clemmensen might not rank out as an all-time great goal, it’s pretty remarkable just the same.
With the Caps holding a 2-1 lead at the time, Ovechkin sailed up the left wing side into the Panthers zone. With the defense collapsing in on him, Ovechkin drove to the net and got a shot away while getting his feet taken out and Clemmensen was helpless to stop the Ovi onslaught. Ovechkin’s goal put the Caps ahead 3-1 and his goal was the difference maker as the Caps went on to win 3-2 over Florida. Ovi’s goal is worth a second and third look to see what grace under pressure looks like.
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 77
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (86)