Jan 9, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
We’ve gotten used to seeing amazing efforts out of Alex Ovechkin over the years. Whether he’s beating the Coyotes from his stomach without looking or beating the Habs from his backside with a pool cue shot, we’ve seen some pretty incredible things over his career. While his goal tonight against the Panthers on Scott Clemmensen might not rank out as an all-time great goal, it’s pretty remarkable just the same.
With the Caps holding a 2-1 lead at the time, Ovechkin sailed up the left wing side into the Panthers zone. With the defense collapsing in on him, Ovechkin drove to the net and got a shot away while getting his feet taken out and Clemmensen was helpless to stop the Ovi onslaught. Ovechkin’s goal put the Caps ahead 3-1 and his goal was the difference maker as the Caps went on to win 3-2 over Florida. Ovi’s goal is worth a second and third look to see what grace under pressure looks like.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 34
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10