Jan 9, 2011, 11:30 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
We’ve gotten used to seeing amazing efforts out of Alex Ovechkin over the years. Whether he’s beating the Coyotes from his stomach without looking or beating the Habs from his backside with a pool cue shot, we’ve seen some pretty incredible things over his career. While his goal tonight against the Panthers on Scott Clemmensen might not rank out as an all-time great goal, it’s pretty remarkable just the same.
With the Caps holding a 2-1 lead at the time, Ovechkin sailed up the left wing side into the Panthers zone. With the defense collapsing in on him, Ovechkin drove to the net and got a shot away while getting his feet taken out and Clemmensen was helpless to stop the Ovi onslaught. Ovechkin’s goal put the Caps ahead 3-1 and his goal was the difference maker as the Caps went on to win 3-2 over Florida. Ovi’s goal is worth a second and third look to see what grace under pressure looks like.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)