Jan 9, 2011, 12:03 AM EDT
The Red Wings have been struggling of late with injuries and now backup goalie Chris Osgood is about to join Brad Stuart, Mike Modano, and Dan Cleary on the shelf. Osgood was supposed to start tonight’s game against Vancouver but was replaced before the game by Jimmy Howard thanks to a groin injury. Osgood will now be headed to a specialist to check out his ailment to verify the seriousness of his injury, a bad sign if there ever was one.
The 38 year-old goaltender has rebounded a bit this season after a rough campaign last season and having him go down to injury is more of a blow to the collective psyche of the Wings than anything else. Jimmy Howard is without a doubt the team’s starting goalie, but Osgood’s improved play this year allowed coach Mike Babcock to rely more on Osgood to give Howard a break.
If Osgood’s injury is serious, the team could call upon either youngster Thomas McCollum or journeyman Joey McDonald to back up Howard. If the injury puts Osgood on the shelf for an extended period of time, McCollum could get the call to give him a taste of life in the NHL and an opportunity to show why the Wings took him in the first round in 2008.
If Osgood is out for a short time, McDonald would be seemingly likely get the call up because he’s got a history in the NHL with the Wings, Leafs, and Islanders. Either way, the Wings’ ability to give Howard a break when needed seriously hampers their ability to trot out a guy that can win games for them.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 14
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 4
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)