Jan 9, 2011, 6:24 PM EDT
The trials and tribulations of Mike Commodore’s days in Columbus are likely at an end now. The unhappy defenseman, who has asked to be traded and since been waived by Columbus, is now on his way to the AHL after clearing waivers. The Jackets recalled everyone’s favorite named player Grant Clitsome to take Commodore’s spot on the roster.
Commodore is looking to get out of Columbus after losing his spot in the starting lineup, as well as his spot on the NHL roster now. What’ll be a problem for Jackets GM Scott Howson is Commodore’s pricey contract. He’s got two more years left on his contract and a cap hit of $3.75 million over that time. Giving him away through waivers or trade will be tough but taking a shot at bringing him through on re-entry waivers for half the cost might be the most efficient way to get him off their hands.
Until then, Commodore will toil with the Springfield Falcons of the AHL. That’s not exactly the kind of break away from Columbus he was expecting.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 1
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 43
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 75
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks