Jan 9, 2011, 6:24 PM EST
The trials and tribulations of Mike Commodore’s days in Columbus are likely at an end now. The unhappy defenseman, who has asked to be traded and since been waived by Columbus, is now on his way to the AHL after clearing waivers. The Jackets recalled everyone’s favorite named player Grant Clitsome to take Commodore’s spot on the roster.
Commodore is looking to get out of Columbus after losing his spot in the starting lineup, as well as his spot on the NHL roster now. What’ll be a problem for Jackets GM Scott Howson is Commodore’s pricey contract. He’s got two more years left on his contract and a cap hit of $3.75 million over that time. Giving him away through waivers or trade will be tough but taking a shot at bringing him through on re-entry waivers for half the cost might be the most efficient way to get him off their hands.
Until then, Commodore will toil with the Springfield Falcons of the AHL. That’s not exactly the kind of break away from Columbus he was expecting.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)