Jan 8, 2011, 7:06 PM EST
Whether you’re interested for fantasy hockey reasons or just want to know which goalie your team is playing in a given day, we thought it might be helpful to share our best guesses (based on various previews from newspapers and Web sites plus our own instincts) on who might start each day.
NY Rangers @ St. Louis – 8 p.m.
New York’s starter: Martin Biron will get the nod tonight after Henrik Lundqvist got the win in the shootout last night in Dallas. (Source)
St. Louis’ starter: Jaroslav Halak will look to bounce back after a miserable start against Toronto the other night. Halak is prone to bouts of playing poorly but dealing with the Rangers sluggish offense could be what he needs to get back to it. (Source)
Buffalo @ Phoenix – 8 p.m.
Buffalo’s likely starter: Ryan Miller is the likely starter tonight. After shutting out San Jose the other night, there’s no reason not to keep riding the hot hand.
Phoenix’s starter: Ilya Bryzgalov will get the start tonight for Phoenix. He was supposed to start the other night but had to sit out suddenly. Jason LaBarbera led the Coyotes to a shutout win instead. (Source)
UPDATE: Jason LaBarbera gets the start as Bryzgalov is down with the flu.
Nashville @ San Jose – 8 p.m.
Nashville’s likely starter: Pekka Rinne looks to get the call tonight for the Predators. Anders Lindback got the start in their last game against the Kings, getting Rinne back into a solid rotation works out better for the Preds in the long run.
San Jose’s starter: Antti Niemi gets the nod tonight against San Jose’s perennial foe Nashville. Antero Niittymaki got the start their last time out so rotating makes sense. (Source)
Detroit @ Vancouver – 10 p.m.
Detroit’s starter: Jimmy Howard gets the surprise start after Chris Osgood is unable to go with a groin injury. Howard was lit up a bit in last night’s shootout win over Calgary. Vancouver is a wee bit better than the Flames this year.
Vancouver’s starter: Roberto Luongo will get the start. The Canucks want to send a message to Detroit that they won’t be pushed around. Vancouver’s been sending that message for the last few weeks, however, no matter who plays in goal.
Columbus @ Los Angeles – 10:30 p.m.
Columbus’ likely starter: Pick your poison here as both Mathieu Garon and Steve Mason got lit up by the Ducks last night. We’ll flip our PHT coin and say that Garon gets the start.
L.A.’s starter: Jon Quick will look to get the Kings off a five-game losing skid. Luckily for him he’ll have Willie Mitchell back in front of him to help the defense out while Alexei Ponikarovsky will look to boost the offense. (Source)
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46