Jan 8, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Much like last night’s best goal, the save of the night was a tough call. Detroit Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard made an outstanding overtime stop on Calgary Flames forward Jarome Iginla in what was just a touch behind the top save. Columbus Blue Jackets goalie Steve Mason had a rough Friday night, but he did make an impressive kick save on Anaheim Ducks power forward Bobby Ryan.
Ottawa Senators goalie Brian Elliott was the victim of Patrick Kane‘s goal of the night, but he made some great saves to keep his team in the game. The best example – and most entertaining clip of the night – came when Elliott somehow managed to make a glove save to ruin a well-executed odd man rush by the Senators. Check out that outstanding clip in the video below.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 5
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 27
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 23
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 29
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 11
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)