Jan 8, 2011, 1:04 PM EST
One of last night’s controversial moments already earned Ben Eager a four game suspension, so one cannot help but wonder if Tom Kostopoulos is next on the NHL’s disciplinary hit list.
It’s unclear what kind of consequences Kostopoulos will face, but if the league weighs the victim’s suffering into its decisions, he probably won’t be allowed on the ice again for a bit. That’s because Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brad Stuart will reportedly miss six to eight weeks with a broken jaw related to that hit. On the bright side, Craig Custance reports that Stuart won’t need surgery on that broken jaw.
It’s a tough loss for the Red Wings, a team that dealt with some blueline bruises to Brian Rafalski and Niklas Kronwall (among others?) already this season.
Click here for more on the hit. We’ll let you know if the NHL decides to discipline Kostopoulos whenever that news surfaces (or fails to surface).
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)