Jan 8, 2011, 8:11 PM EDT
While we know who the top six players in the All-Star Game are now after fan balloting, we now know who will be coaching the other team. It was already slated that Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville would be coaching one of the teams thanks to Chicago winning the Stanley Cup last year. As for the other team, we’ll see Flyers coach Peter Laviolette and Canucks coach Alain Vigneault get the call to co-coach the opposing squad.
Laviolette and Vigneault get the call because their teams had the highest points percentage at the end of business today and with no one in the Western Conference able to touch Vancouver and Pittsburgh unable to equal Philadelphia, their respective coaches get the call to lead the way in Raleigh at the end of January.
Of course, coaches don’t do more than just call for line changes and make adjustments with the lines in an All-Star Game and given that they won’t know what their teams will look like until after the player’s fantasy draft the Friday night before the game, coaches are pretty much just there for show.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)