Jan 8, 2011, 8:11 PM EDT
While we know who the top six players in the All-Star Game are now after fan balloting, we now know who will be coaching the other team. It was already slated that Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville would be coaching one of the teams thanks to Chicago winning the Stanley Cup last year. As for the other team, we’ll see Flyers coach Peter Laviolette and Canucks coach Alain Vigneault get the call to co-coach the opposing squad.
Laviolette and Vigneault get the call because their teams had the highest points percentage at the end of business today and with no one in the Western Conference able to touch Vancouver and Pittsburgh unable to equal Philadelphia, their respective coaches get the call to lead the way in Raleigh at the end of January.
Of course, coaches don’t do more than just call for line changes and make adjustments with the lines in an All-Star Game and given that they won’t know what their teams will look like until after the player’s fantasy draft the Friday night before the game, coaches are pretty much just there for show.
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 0
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 27
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 58
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)