Jan 8, 2011, 8:11 PM EST
While we know who the top six players in the All-Star Game are now after fan balloting, we now know who will be coaching the other team. It was already slated that Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville would be coaching one of the teams thanks to Chicago winning the Stanley Cup last year. As for the other team, we’ll see Flyers coach Peter Laviolette and Canucks coach Alain Vigneault get the call to co-coach the opposing squad.
Laviolette and Vigneault get the call because their teams had the highest points percentage at the end of business today and with no one in the Western Conference able to touch Vancouver and Pittsburgh unable to equal Philadelphia, their respective coaches get the call to lead the way in Raleigh at the end of January.
Of course, coaches don’t do more than just call for line changes and make adjustments with the lines in an All-Star Game and given that they won’t know what their teams will look like until after the player’s fantasy draft the Friday night before the game, coaches are pretty much just there for show.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)