Jan 8, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
There wasn’t much of a chance for Toronto Maple Leafs forward Colby Armstrong to defend himself from a sucker punch by Atlanta Thrashers forward Ben Eager. Thrashers coach Craig Ramsay provided no defense for Eager in post-game chatter. Thankfully, there’s plenty of logic to defend the NHL’s decision to suspend Eager for four games, as they did today.
The Thrashers were already down 5-1 to the Leafs when the senseless punch was landed, but Toronto really made them pay on the resulting five minute power play. They scored four power-play goals to get a considerable measure of revenge for the cheap shot.
Eager will lose $20,752.68 in salary due to the four-game suspension and won’t be eligible to play again until the Thrashers’ January 20th game against the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Overall, it seems like the punishment fits the crime pretty well. There’s just no reason for the punch so, honestly, an even stiffer bit of discipline would have been fine with me. Yet with previous precedents, this seems about right.
Click here for video of Eager’s regrettable act.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)