Jan 8, 2011, 4:19 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers might not have a single player from their roster appear in the 2010 NHL All-Star Game, but their coach will represent them as one of the event’s coaches thanks to today’s 2-1 win over the woeful New Jersey Devils.
A big reason the talented team might not have a player on either all-star teams is that they are so deep. James van Riemsdyk, Danny Briere and Brian Boucher came up big this afternoon, showing that the club doesn’t depend on Mike Richards, Jeff Carter and injured defenseman Chris Pronger alone.
Boucher stopped 34 out of 35 shots while Van Riemsdyk and Briere scored a goal each. Johan Hedberg received the hook early in the game after allowing two goals, giving way to Martin Brodeur, who stopped all 19 Flyers shots to keep New Jersey in the game.
Philly currently holds a slight lead over the Pittsburgh Penguins (57 to 56 points) for the top spot in the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference, who will play against the Minnesota Wild tonight. The Devils keep hitting new lows in the Brodeur era, as they lost their 11th straight road game. If they lose another game away from Newark, that would tie the longest road losing streak in franchise history, dating back to 1983.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 25
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 7
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (26)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)