Jan 8, 2011, 4:19 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers might not have a single player from their roster appear in the 2010 NHL All-Star Game, but their coach will represent them as one of the event’s coaches thanks to today’s 2-1 win over the woeful New Jersey Devils.
A big reason the talented team might not have a player on either all-star teams is that they are so deep. James van Riemsdyk, Danny Briere and Brian Boucher came up big this afternoon, showing that the club doesn’t depend on Mike Richards, Jeff Carter and injured defenseman Chris Pronger alone.
Boucher stopped 34 out of 35 shots while Van Riemsdyk and Briere scored a goal each. Johan Hedberg received the hook early in the game after allowing two goals, giving way to Martin Brodeur, who stopped all 19 Flyers shots to keep New Jersey in the game.
Philly currently holds a slight lead over the Pittsburgh Penguins (57 to 56 points) for the top spot in the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference, who will play against the Minnesota Wild tonight. The Devils keep hitting new lows in the Brodeur era, as they lost their 11th straight road game. If they lose another game away from Newark, that would tie the longest road losing streak in franchise history, dating back to 1983.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)