Jan 8, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT
Just about anyone who saw David Steckel’s hit on Sidney Crosby during the Winter Classic couldn’t help but at least furrow a brow when he ended up with (what the Pittsburgh Penguins claim) concussion problems unrelated to that check later in the week.
(Yet, as Joe pointed out, it’s pretty silly to accuse the Penguins of any foul play or foolishness without actual evidence of such.)
It’s hard to suss out the right train of thought regarding this situation. On one hand, it’s dangerous to jump to the conclusion that the Penguins would throw their most important player to the wolves while he was dealing with concussion problems. On the other side, professional sports teams are notoriously secretive regarding injuries and when you consider the fact that many athletes want to play even if there are health risks involved, perhaps both the team and the player erred here.
Penguins coach Dan Bylsma addressed such commentary today, disputing the notion that the team played Crosby while he was dealing with concussion issues. Bylsma said that Crosby did not go into the team’s Thursday game against the Tampa Bay Lightning with any (clear) concussion symptoms.
“After the Winter Classic Crosby did not have concussion symptoms. After the Tampa Bay game he was not feeling right. Per our doctors orders if he woke up in the morning feeling the same way, he would need to get evaluated. He woke up in the morning and still wasn’t feeling completely right. The only reason he left Montreal was because he was able to get on a flight with Matt Cooke, who had to deal with his family issues.”
However you feel about the situation, the bottom line is that Crosby is dealing with what might be a mild concussion. We’ll keep you up to date regarding the health status of the league’s leading scorer as more information surfaces.
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 15
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 23
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 23
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 11
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 80
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 25
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 89
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (89)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT