Jan 8, 2011, 11:13 PM EST
Bruins fans have to get tired of seeing things play out this way. Boston headed into the third period of their battle with the Canadiens with a 2-0 lead in Montreal as the Bruins looked to extend their lead in the Northeast Division. Instead, the Habs came out in the third period fired up, out-shooting the Bruins 18-8 and getting goals from Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta to tie the game up and go to overtime.
The Habs effort in the third period was something that was absent for the first 40 minutes of the game and something the Bruins couldn’t take full advantage of in that time span. Patrice Bergeron‘s two goals early on provided the only offense the Bruins would see though. Max Pacioretty would end the game in overtime scoring the game-winner.
Pacioretty’s goal that touched off a meleé of sorts with Bruins captain Zdeno Chara going out of his mind and going after Pacioretty in a fit of frustration. Hal Gill intercepted Chara to even out the height discrepancy and cool things off. For Boston, Chara’s frustration is emblematic of what it’s been like of late for them. They’re getting their points by reaching overtime and the shootout, but finishing games off has been an issue.
With the win in overtime, Montreal tied the Bruins atop the Northeast Division. The catch there is that it alters your playoff position by four or five spots going from third in the conference to seventh or eighth. We’re far off from worrying about the playoffs, but this kind of jockeying looks likely to go on all year long.
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 4
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 15
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 15
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 29