Jan 8, 2011, 11:13 PM EDT
Bruins fans have to get tired of seeing things play out this way. Boston headed into the third period of their battle with the Canadiens with a 2-0 lead in Montreal as the Bruins looked to extend their lead in the Northeast Division. Instead, the Habs came out in the third period fired up, out-shooting the Bruins 18-8 and getting goals from Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta to tie the game up and go to overtime.
The Habs effort in the third period was something that was absent for the first 40 minutes of the game and something the Bruins couldn’t take full advantage of in that time span. Patrice Bergeron‘s two goals early on provided the only offense the Bruins would see though. Max Pacioretty would end the game in overtime scoring the game-winner.
Pacioretty’s goal that touched off a meleé of sorts with Bruins captain Zdeno Chara going out of his mind and going after Pacioretty in a fit of frustration. Hal Gill intercepted Chara to even out the height discrepancy and cool things off. For Boston, Chara’s frustration is emblematic of what it’s been like of late for them. They’re getting their points by reaching overtime and the shootout, but finishing games off has been an issue.
With the win in overtime, Montreal tied the Bruins atop the Northeast Division. The catch there is that it alters your playoff position by four or five spots going from third in the conference to seventh or eighth. We’re far off from worrying about the playoffs, but this kind of jockeying looks likely to go on all year long.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)