Jan 8, 2011, 11:13 PM EDT
Bruins fans have to get tired of seeing things play out this way. Boston headed into the third period of their battle with the Canadiens with a 2-0 lead in Montreal as the Bruins looked to extend their lead in the Northeast Division. Instead, the Habs came out in the third period fired up, out-shooting the Bruins 18-8 and getting goals from Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta to tie the game up and go to overtime.
The Habs effort in the third period was something that was absent for the first 40 minutes of the game and something the Bruins couldn’t take full advantage of in that time span. Patrice Bergeron‘s two goals early on provided the only offense the Bruins would see though. Max Pacioretty would end the game in overtime scoring the game-winner.
Pacioretty’s goal that touched off a meleé of sorts with Bruins captain Zdeno Chara going out of his mind and going after Pacioretty in a fit of frustration. Hal Gill intercepted Chara to even out the height discrepancy and cool things off. For Boston, Chara’s frustration is emblematic of what it’s been like of late for them. They’re getting their points by reaching overtime and the shootout, but finishing games off has been an issue.
With the win in overtime, Montreal tied the Bruins atop the Northeast Division. The catch there is that it alters your playoff position by four or five spots going from third in the conference to seventh or eighth. We’re far off from worrying about the playoffs, but this kind of jockeying looks likely to go on all year long.
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 0
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 19
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 48
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control