Jan 7, 2011, 10:25 AM EDT
Have you been missing last year’s playoff phenom Tuukka Rask? I think we all have. Fantastic Finnish names are hard to come by and so are super talented goalies. Of course, Rask is playing second fiddle to another great goalie in his own right in Tim Thomas, so Tuukka Mania can’t run wild as often as we’d like to see. That’s what makes moments like tonight a little bit more special.
With the Bruins tied 1-1 late in the second period with Minnesota, the Wild were circling in the Boston zone. Kyle Brodziak drew the attention of Boston’s defense and managed to leave the Wild’s lone goal scorer to that point in the game, Martin Havlat, all alone by the far post. Brodziak fired a great pass across the zone to a wide open Havlat to fire upon a yawning net. Rask tracked the puck all the way across and made an incredible lunging save with his glove to prevent Havlat from potting his second goal of the night.
Boston fans erupted on the save and broke out the long-dormant “TUU-KKA!” chant and made us think back to last year’s playoffs once again. The Bruins ruined the night for Rask giving up a pair of goals in the third on the way to a 3-1 loss to Minnesota, but for one moment Tuukka Mania was back.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)