Jan 7, 2011, 10:25 AM EDT
Have you been missing last year’s playoff phenom Tuukka Rask? I think we all have. Fantastic Finnish names are hard to come by and so are super talented goalies. Of course, Rask is playing second fiddle to another great goalie in his own right in Tim Thomas, so Tuukka Mania can’t run wild as often as we’d like to see. That’s what makes moments like tonight a little bit more special.
With the Bruins tied 1-1 late in the second period with Minnesota, the Wild were circling in the Boston zone. Kyle Brodziak drew the attention of Boston’s defense and managed to leave the Wild’s lone goal scorer to that point in the game, Martin Havlat, all alone by the far post. Brodziak fired a great pass across the zone to a wide open Havlat to fire upon a yawning net. Rask tracked the puck all the way across and made an incredible lunging save with his glove to prevent Havlat from potting his second goal of the night.
Boston fans erupted on the save and broke out the long-dormant “TUU-KKA!” chant and made us think back to last year’s playoffs once again. The Bruins ruined the night for Rask giving up a pair of goals in the third on the way to a 3-1 loss to Minnesota, but for one moment Tuukka Mania was back.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)