Jan 7, 2011, 7:55 PM EST
It’s been a busy, emotional week for Chicago Blackhawks defenseman/prospect Nick Leddy.
Things were pretty low on Monday when Leddy and the United States world junior team absolutely fell on their faces against Canada in the tournament’s semifinal 4-1 loss. His spirits certainly must have been improved on Wednesday, though, as the U.S. gutted out a spirited 4-2 win over Sweden to redeem themselves and grab the bronze medal.
A week that began low keeps climbing in quality for Leddy, as the Blackhawks decided to call him up to the big club instead of keeping him with Rockford in the American Hockey League. He is expected to play on Chicago’s third defensive pairing with Jordan Hendry, taking Jassen Cullimore’s typical spot on the Blackhawks blueline.
Leddy played in six NHL games already this season before being called back down to the minors. He told NHL.com that gaining experience in such a wide variety of venues should help him have a more productive run at the sport’s highest level this time around.
“You gain more confidence as you play, but this is another step up in the NHL,” he said. “Every level you jump, there’s just going to be more skilled players and you’ve got to adjust to that league. I guess we’ll see what happens, but I’ll do my best.”
Leddy will likely be paired with Jordan Hendry as Chicago’s third defense tandem against the Ottawa Senators on Friday night at the United Center. Hawks coach Joel Quenneville said it’s also possible that Leddy might get some time on the penalty kill unit, which is currently ranked 28th in the League (77.3 percent).
Quenneville likes what Leddy did in the minors and at the WJC and hopes that translates to the NHL.
“He’s progressed,” Quenneville said. “He looks bigger off the ice and on the ice. I think the World Juniors was good for him, as well. He gives us more puck possession, more presence offensively in that area. He played well when he was here earlier. I just think he added consistency as he worked his way down there.”
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 17
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 28
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)