Jan 7, 2011, 9:21 PM EST
Ever since finding out about his above-and-beyond charitable work during the summer, it’s been hard to root against Edmonton Oilers forward Gilbert Brule, despite whatever struggles he experiences in his still-young career.
He hasn’t exactly been an impact player for the Oil this season (six goals and two assists for eight points in 34 games), especially considering the fact that he went scoreless during the month of December. Yet after one more goose egg on New Year’s day, he showed some signs of life with a goal in two straight games.
Apparently that modest flourish came with a price, though, as Brule apparently suffered an injury during Edmonton’s 2-1 win against the New York Islanders on Thursday. Oilers head coach Tom Renney believes that Brule is suffering from a bruised chest or abdomen. He didn’t elaborate much further regarding the severity of the injury, but Brule will miss at least tonight’s contest against the Vancouver Canucks.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports that the Oilers will add big, hard-shooting defenseman Kurtis Foster back into its lineup, though.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 56
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 34
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 32
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 132
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (132)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (112)