Jan 7, 2011, 9:21 PM EDT
Ever since finding out about his above-and-beyond charitable work during the summer, it’s been hard to root against Edmonton Oilers forward Gilbert Brule, despite whatever struggles he experiences in his still-young career.
He hasn’t exactly been an impact player for the Oil this season (six goals and two assists for eight points in 34 games), especially considering the fact that he went scoreless during the month of December. Yet after one more goose egg on New Year’s day, he showed some signs of life with a goal in two straight games.
Apparently that modest flourish came with a price, though, as Brule apparently suffered an injury during Edmonton’s 2-1 win against the New York Islanders on Thursday. Oilers head coach Tom Renney believes that Brule is suffering from a bruised chest or abdomen. He didn’t elaborate much further regarding the severity of the injury, but Brule will miss at least tonight’s contest against the Vancouver Canucks.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports that the Oilers will add big, hard-shooting defenseman Kurtis Foster back into its lineup, though.
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 10
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 6
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 33
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 56
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 88
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut