Jan 7, 2011, 9:21 PM EDT
Ever since finding out about his above-and-beyond charitable work during the summer, it’s been hard to root against Edmonton Oilers forward Gilbert Brule, despite whatever struggles he experiences in his still-young career.
He hasn’t exactly been an impact player for the Oil this season (six goals and two assists for eight points in 34 games), especially considering the fact that he went scoreless during the month of December. Yet after one more goose egg on New Year’s day, he showed some signs of life with a goal in two straight games.
Apparently that modest flourish came with a price, though, as Brule apparently suffered an injury during Edmonton’s 2-1 win against the New York Islanders on Thursday. Oilers head coach Tom Renney believes that Brule is suffering from a bruised chest or abdomen. He didn’t elaborate much further regarding the severity of the injury, but Brule will miss at least tonight’s contest against the Vancouver Canucks.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports that the Oilers will add big, hard-shooting defenseman Kurtis Foster back into its lineup, though.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)