Jan 6, 2011, 1:18 PM EST
Take one look at the Russian junior national team’s on-ice celebration of their stunning gold medal victory and there are three basic thoughts that might go through your head:
- “Wow, those kids are having a lot of fun.”
- “Boy, I bet they’re going to do some drinking tonight.”
- And “Wait, are they already hammered?”
Well, in what might be today’s least surprising news, the Russian team apparently unleashed their inner Andrew W.K.’s and partied far too hard to fly back home this morning.
The Associated Press reports that a 30-member group were asked to leave a Delta flight in New York and were forced to take what must have been an extensive amount of baggage (figurative, not literal) with them. One can only imagine the unsettling morning it must have been for the passengers briefly sitting next to this dude.
“To ensure the safe operation of the flight, the crew of Flight 1266 denied boarding to 30 passengers who were traveling together and displaying unruly behavior,” Delta spokeswoman Susan Chana Elliott said. “The passengers are being rebooked on a future flight.”
Some might view this as a shameful moment, yet there are probably more than a handful of people who are giving them the rock star treatment. For those of you unaware of the rock star treatment, it goes as such: destroying a hotel room goes from an incredibly irresponsible act to a display of reckless anti-authoritarian awesomeness if it’s done by someone who can muster three minute long guitar solos.
Surely the Russians will return home with plenty of stories and the adoration of the hockey-loving public in their native country, so it’s doubtful that this will be much more than an amusing (if somewhat shameful) speed bump.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)