Jan 6, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
It’s been written plenty of times before, but the Staal family really is the modern answer to the Sutter family in the NHL.
Let’s hope that Jordan, Marc, Eric (and Jared?) never decide to work alongside each other as a team’s general manager like Darryl and Brent Sutter, though. Otherwise they might build up enough hostility between the two of each other that they stop talking altogether like what happened with the Sutters in Calgary. Let’s just say things might still be awkward by the next big Canadian holiday at the Sutter house.
Anyway, it seemed like Eric Staal was looking after his brother Marc, who doesn’t get as many chances to score goals because he’s a defenseman with the New York Rangers. Eric coughed up the puck to Marc who fired a great shot, but Cam Ward decided to throw a wrench in their plans by making a dynamic glove save. The Rangers ended up winning the contest in overtime, but Ward was nearly Henrik Lundqvist’s equal on Wednesday.
Check out Ward’s fantastic swipe in the video below.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 22
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 72
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)