Jan 6, 2011, 9:00 PM EDT
As if times weren’t already trying for the Montreal Canadiens defensive corps with Andrei Markov out and with P.K. Subban and Yanick Weber in a battle for the affections of the home fans, they were dealt a wicked blow today. Defensive defenseman Josh Gorges will be out for the rest of the season after it was announced that he will need surgery on his injured knee.
Gorges emerged last year as one of Montreal’s top shutdown defensemen with his tough play and ability to shadow the game’s top stars. His work was very apparent during the playoffs in working against Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin and helping both of their teams exit the postseason sooner than they intended. With aging veterans like Jaroslav Spacek and Roman Hamrlik on the team, having Gorges breakout last year the way he did it provided a break for the Habs.
With Gorges out now, the battle between P.K. Subban and Yanick Weber for ice time will disappear. Those two were set to fight each other to get on the ice after the Habs acquired James Wisniewski from the Islanders. Now, it’s a return to how it was before his arrival except that Wisniewski’s defensive abilities are lacking in comparison to Gorges. With the Habs battling Boston atop the Northeast Division, the pressure is on everyone to tighten things up.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 23
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 14
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 2
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 54
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (56)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)