Jan 6, 2011, 7:41 PM EDT
For the last two seasons now, times for Devils captain Jamie Langenbrunner in New Jersey have been tough. Last season he and then coach Jacques Lemaire butted heads over playing style and other things behind the scenes. This year, the Devils have been awful under both former coach John MacLean and Lemaire. Langenbrunner’s contributions have been minimal scoring just four goals in 31 games this year.
Tonight, the Devils captain was a healthy scratch and The Star-Ledger’s Rich Chere took note that there wasn’t even any equipment in his locker tonight before the Devils game with Philadelphia at Prudential Center. It’s rare when a captain is sat down as a healthy scratch so there’s something up. Langenbrunner has a no-trade clause in his contract, a deal that he’s in the final year of, and it sounds like he’s ready to go. Chere finds out from Langenbrunner that he’s waiting to be traded.
“I’ve been in discussions with the team (about waiving the no-trade clause),” Langenbrunner said via telephone. “The fact that I’m not there tonight probably means a trade will be happening sooner rather than later.
“I’m in limbo waiting.”
Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice tweeted that Langenbrunner has waived his no-trade clause and is waiting on the Devils next move. Bob McKenzie of TSN says that Langenbrunner hasn’t been asked formally to waive it and that there’s no team in place as of yet.
So who is interested in the veteran forward? The teams being thrown around right now are his former stomping grounds in Dallas, as well as St. Louis, San Jose, and surprisingly, Philadelphia. Langenbrunner’s cap hit is just $2.8 million so finding a team to swing a deal with the Devils won’t be too hard if there’s interest. He’d essentially be a half-season rental with his deal expiring after this season so there’s no added commitment if things don’t work out.
Langenbrunner is about as attractive of a trade piece as you could ask for and you’d have to think getting a change of scenery would help his game immensely. This is a situation that’s developing fast and I wouldn’t rule out a move happening in the next day. We’ll keep you posted.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5