Jan 6, 2011, 7:41 PM EST
For the last two seasons now, times for Devils captain Jamie Langenbrunner in New Jersey have been tough. Last season he and then coach Jacques Lemaire butted heads over playing style and other things behind the scenes. This year, the Devils have been awful under both former coach John MacLean and Lemaire. Langenbrunner’s contributions have been minimal scoring just four goals in 31 games this year.
Tonight, the Devils captain was a healthy scratch and The Star-Ledger’s Rich Chere took note that there wasn’t even any equipment in his locker tonight before the Devils game with Philadelphia at Prudential Center. It’s rare when a captain is sat down as a healthy scratch so there’s something up. Langenbrunner has a no-trade clause in his contract, a deal that he’s in the final year of, and it sounds like he’s ready to go. Chere finds out from Langenbrunner that he’s waiting to be traded.
“I’ve been in discussions with the team (about waiving the no-trade clause),” Langenbrunner said via telephone. “The fact that I’m not there tonight probably means a trade will be happening sooner rather than later.
“I’m in limbo waiting.”
Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice tweeted that Langenbrunner has waived his no-trade clause and is waiting on the Devils next move. Bob McKenzie of TSN says that Langenbrunner hasn’t been asked formally to waive it and that there’s no team in place as of yet.
So who is interested in the veteran forward? The teams being thrown around right now are his former stomping grounds in Dallas, as well as St. Louis, San Jose, and surprisingly, Philadelphia. Langenbrunner’s cap hit is just $2.8 million so finding a team to swing a deal with the Devils won’t be too hard if there’s interest. He’d essentially be a half-season rental with his deal expiring after this season so there’s no added commitment if things don’t work out.
Langenbrunner is about as attractive of a trade piece as you could ask for and you’d have to think getting a change of scenery would help his game immensely. This is a situation that’s developing fast and I wouldn’t rule out a move happening in the next day. We’ll keep you posted.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 17
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 74
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (75)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)