Jan 5, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
Just last week, Steven Stamkos earned a goal of the night award by making an amazing spin move to score on a penalty shot.
Yet much like a moment in which Alex Ovechkin actually looked clumsy, even the most talented players in the NHL will face some humbling moments during the twists and turns of an 82-game season. The Pittsburgh Penguins are doing just that to the Tampa Bay Lightning tonight, as they’re currently up 8-1.
For Stamkos, it’s been an evening of dual team and individual humiliation. While Dwayne Roloson was chased from the net after a 5-0 first period, Stamkos failed miserably on a penalty shot attempt that will be played on blooper reels for quite some time. All Marc-Andre Fleury needed to do was skate to the puck and the blunder became official.
Patrick Eaves faced a similar shootout stumble and received grief about it for quite some time, but considering the skill set of Stamkos, this clip could live on for quite some time.
Of course, if I were a defenseman playing against the ultra-talented sniper, I’d probably hesitate to mention the moment and give him any reason to shine the spotlight of embarrasment in the other direction. After all, it’s beyond likely that Stamkos will have far more amazing highlights than embarrassing gaffes. Then again, maybe that’s what makes this clip worth noting.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)