Jan 5, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
Just last week, Steven Stamkos earned a goal of the night award by making an amazing spin move to score on a penalty shot.
Yet much like a moment in which Alex Ovechkin actually looked clumsy, even the most talented players in the NHL will face some humbling moments during the twists and turns of an 82-game season. The Pittsburgh Penguins are doing just that to the Tampa Bay Lightning tonight, as they’re currently up 8-1.
For Stamkos, it’s been an evening of dual team and individual humiliation. While Dwayne Roloson was chased from the net after a 5-0 first period, Stamkos failed miserably on a penalty shot attempt that will be played on blooper reels for quite some time. All Marc-Andre Fleury needed to do was skate to the puck and the blunder became official.
Patrick Eaves faced a similar shootout stumble and received grief about it for quite some time, but considering the skill set of Stamkos, this clip could live on for quite some time.
Of course, if I were a defenseman playing against the ultra-talented sniper, I’d probably hesitate to mention the moment and give him any reason to shine the spotlight of embarrasment in the other direction. After all, it’s beyond likely that Stamkos will have far more amazing highlights than embarrassing gaffes. Then again, maybe that’s what makes this clip worth noting.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)