Jan 5, 2011, 9:30 PM EST
Just last week, Steven Stamkos earned a goal of the night award by making an amazing spin move to score on a penalty shot.
Yet much like a moment in which Alex Ovechkin actually looked clumsy, even the most talented players in the NHL will face some humbling moments during the twists and turns of an 82-game season. The Pittsburgh Penguins are doing just that to the Tampa Bay Lightning tonight, as they’re currently up 8-1.
For Stamkos, it’s been an evening of dual team and individual humiliation. While Dwayne Roloson was chased from the net after a 5-0 first period, Stamkos failed miserably on a penalty shot attempt that will be played on blooper reels for quite some time. All Marc-Andre Fleury needed to do was skate to the puck and the blunder became official.
Patrick Eaves faced a similar shootout stumble and received grief about it for quite some time, but considering the skill set of Stamkos, this clip could live on for quite some time.
Of course, if I were a defenseman playing against the ultra-talented sniper, I’d probably hesitate to mention the moment and give him any reason to shine the spotlight of embarrasment in the other direction. After all, it’s beyond likely that Stamkos will have far more amazing highlights than embarrassing gaffes. Then again, maybe that’s what makes this clip worth noting.
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 1
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 10
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 82
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)