Jan 5, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
Just last week, Steven Stamkos earned a goal of the night award by making an amazing spin move to score on a penalty shot.
Yet much like a moment in which Alex Ovechkin actually looked clumsy, even the most talented players in the NHL will face some humbling moments during the twists and turns of an 82-game season. The Pittsburgh Penguins are doing just that to the Tampa Bay Lightning tonight, as they’re currently up 8-1.
For Stamkos, it’s been an evening of dual team and individual humiliation. While Dwayne Roloson was chased from the net after a 5-0 first period, Stamkos failed miserably on a penalty shot attempt that will be played on blooper reels for quite some time. All Marc-Andre Fleury needed to do was skate to the puck and the blunder became official.
Patrick Eaves faced a similar shootout stumble and received grief about it for quite some time, but considering the skill set of Stamkos, this clip could live on for quite some time.
Of course, if I were a defenseman playing against the ultra-talented sniper, I’d probably hesitate to mention the moment and give him any reason to shine the spotlight of embarrasment in the other direction. After all, it’s beyond likely that Stamkos will have far more amazing highlights than embarrassing gaffes. Then again, maybe that’s what makes this clip worth noting.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)