Jan 5, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT
When you read about Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf‘s brutal injury in which he’s got multiple fractures in his sinuses after taking a puck off his face, you can’t help but react with a wince. Getzlaf has been out for about a week now and after discovering the sinus fractures were clean and not displaced, he’s got a timetable for his return. Curtis Zupke of The Orange County Register reports that Getzlaf will miss 4-6 weeks because of the injury. The soonest the Ducks will get him back is by the end of January.
Losing Getzlaf for that amount of time is crushing for Anaheim not just because he’s the team captain but also because he’s part of the Ducks high-powered top line. Getzlaf with Corey Perry and Bobby Ryan makes for about as lethal a first line in the NHL and losing Getzlaf really puts a dent in their production.
The Ducks were already thin at center and they acquired Maxim Lapierre from Montreal to help build up their depth at center. With goals coming at a premium with Getzlaf out, the Ducks will be a bit tougher to deal with physically and defensively. The Ducks will have to keep it together to keep up with the rest of the Western Conference in the race for the playoffs.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks