Jan 5, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT
When you read about Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf‘s brutal injury in which he’s got multiple fractures in his sinuses after taking a puck off his face, you can’t help but react with a wince. Getzlaf has been out for about a week now and after discovering the sinus fractures were clean and not displaced, he’s got a timetable for his return. Curtis Zupke of The Orange County Register reports that Getzlaf will miss 4-6 weeks because of the injury. The soonest the Ducks will get him back is by the end of January.
Losing Getzlaf for that amount of time is crushing for Anaheim not just because he’s the team captain but also because he’s part of the Ducks high-powered top line. Getzlaf with Corey Perry and Bobby Ryan makes for about as lethal a first line in the NHL and losing Getzlaf really puts a dent in their production.
The Ducks were already thin at center and they acquired Maxim Lapierre from Montreal to help build up their depth at center. With goals coming at a premium with Getzlaf out, the Ducks will be a bit tougher to deal with physically and defensively. The Ducks will have to keep it together to keep up with the rest of the Western Conference in the race for the playoffs.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)