Jan 5, 2011, 10:05 AM EST
Whether it was dumb luck or having no luck at all, Tyler Ennis managed to save the game for the Colorado Avalanche last night. The catch here is that Ennis plays for the Buffalo Sabres.
With the teams scrambling late in the third period with the score tied at three, the Sabres were pressuring the Avalanche goal. Tyler Ennis wheeled with the puck down near the goal mouth and was checked off by Avs defensemen Ryan O’Byrne and Matt Hunwick. Having both defensemen go to the same player is generally a huge mistake and while Peter Budaj made the stop on Ennis’ shot, the puck went right to Luke Adam.
Adam fired what seemed like a sure thing go-ahead goal, but the puck hit something and never went in. That something was the stick blade of Tyler Ennis. Ennis stick was in the wrong place at the wrong time for Adam’s shot. The puck went partially across the goalie line before hitting Ennis’ stick and careening back out into play. Video review said it did not go fully across and the day was saved for Colorado. The Avs went on to win in overtime thanks to David Jones‘ 2-on-1 power play goal.
If it wasn’t for bad luck, the Sabres wouldn’t have any luck and for any and all of the Sabres pessimists out there, this video is just further proof to them that Buffalo exists under a black cloud.
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 1
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)