Jan 5, 2011, 10:05 AM EDT
Whether it was dumb luck or having no luck at all, Tyler Ennis managed to save the game for the Colorado Avalanche last night. The catch here is that Ennis plays for the Buffalo Sabres.
With the teams scrambling late in the third period with the score tied at three, the Sabres were pressuring the Avalanche goal. Tyler Ennis wheeled with the puck down near the goal mouth and was checked off by Avs defensemen Ryan O’Byrne and Matt Hunwick. Having both defensemen go to the same player is generally a huge mistake and while Peter Budaj made the stop on Ennis’ shot, the puck went right to Luke Adam.
Adam fired what seemed like a sure thing go-ahead goal, but the puck hit something and never went in. That something was the stick blade of Tyler Ennis. Ennis stick was in the wrong place at the wrong time for Adam’s shot. The puck went partially across the goalie line before hitting Ennis’ stick and careening back out into play. Video review said it did not go fully across and the day was saved for Colorado. The Avs went on to win in overtime thanks to David Jones‘ 2-on-1 power play goal.
If it wasn’t for bad luck, the Sabres wouldn’t have any luck and for any and all of the Sabres pessimists out there, this video is just further proof to them that Buffalo exists under a black cloud.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)