Jan 5, 2011, 10:05 AM EDT
Whether it was dumb luck or having no luck at all, Tyler Ennis managed to save the game for the Colorado Avalanche last night. The catch here is that Ennis plays for the Buffalo Sabres.
With the teams scrambling late in the third period with the score tied at three, the Sabres were pressuring the Avalanche goal. Tyler Ennis wheeled with the puck down near the goal mouth and was checked off by Avs defensemen Ryan O’Byrne and Matt Hunwick. Having both defensemen go to the same player is generally a huge mistake and while Peter Budaj made the stop on Ennis’ shot, the puck went right to Luke Adam.
Adam fired what seemed like a sure thing go-ahead goal, but the puck hit something and never went in. That something was the stick blade of Tyler Ennis. Ennis stick was in the wrong place at the wrong time for Adam’s shot. The puck went partially across the goalie line before hitting Ennis’ stick and careening back out into play. Video review said it did not go fully across and the day was saved for Colorado. The Avs went on to win in overtime thanks to David Jones‘ 2-on-1 power play goal.
If it wasn’t for bad luck, the Sabres wouldn’t have any luck and for any and all of the Sabres pessimists out there, this video is just further proof to them that Buffalo exists under a black cloud.
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 5
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 11
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 11
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)