Jan 5, 2011, 10:05 AM EDT
Whether it was dumb luck or having no luck at all, Tyler Ennis managed to save the game for the Colorado Avalanche last night. The catch here is that Ennis plays for the Buffalo Sabres.
With the teams scrambling late in the third period with the score tied at three, the Sabres were pressuring the Avalanche goal. Tyler Ennis wheeled with the puck down near the goal mouth and was checked off by Avs defensemen Ryan O’Byrne and Matt Hunwick. Having both defensemen go to the same player is generally a huge mistake and while Peter Budaj made the stop on Ennis’ shot, the puck went right to Luke Adam.
Adam fired what seemed like a sure thing go-ahead goal, but the puck hit something and never went in. That something was the stick blade of Tyler Ennis. Ennis stick was in the wrong place at the wrong time for Adam’s shot. The puck went partially across the goalie line before hitting Ennis’ stick and careening back out into play. Video review said it did not go fully across and the day was saved for Colorado. The Avs went on to win in overtime thanks to David Jones‘ 2-on-1 power play goal.
If it wasn’t for bad luck, the Sabres wouldn’t have any luck and for any and all of the Sabres pessimists out there, this video is just further proof to them that Buffalo exists under a black cloud.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 10
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)