Jan 5, 2011, 10:05 AM EST
Whether it was dumb luck or having no luck at all, Tyler Ennis managed to save the game for the Colorado Avalanche last night. The catch here is that Ennis plays for the Buffalo Sabres.
With the teams scrambling late in the third period with the score tied at three, the Sabres were pressuring the Avalanche goal. Tyler Ennis wheeled with the puck down near the goal mouth and was checked off by Avs defensemen Ryan O’Byrne and Matt Hunwick. Having both defensemen go to the same player is generally a huge mistake and while Peter Budaj made the stop on Ennis’ shot, the puck went right to Luke Adam.
Adam fired what seemed like a sure thing go-ahead goal, but the puck hit something and never went in. That something was the stick blade of Tyler Ennis. Ennis stick was in the wrong place at the wrong time for Adam’s shot. The puck went partially across the goalie line before hitting Ennis’ stick and careening back out into play. Video review said it did not go fully across and the day was saved for Colorado. The Avs went on to win in overtime thanks to David Jones‘ 2-on-1 power play goal.
If it wasn’t for bad luck, the Sabres wouldn’t have any luck and for any and all of the Sabres pessimists out there, this video is just further proof to them that Buffalo exists under a black cloud.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 43
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (44)