Jan 5, 2011, 2:32 AM EDT
Detroit got the win but they made it interesting for a bit. The Wings jumped out to a 3-1 lead before giving up goals to Theo Peckham and Sam Gagner in the third to knot it up at three. Todd Bertuzzi would score the back breaker though with 2:50 to play. It was Bertuzzi’s second goal of the game and it was followed up by a Darren Helm snipe to make it 5-3. Chris Osgood got the win, his 401st putting him two behind Grant Fuhr for ninth all time.
Tampa Bay 1 – Washington 0 (F/OT)
Dwayne Roloson led the way with 34 saves in his Lightning debut and Martin St. Louis scored the game-winner in overtime. Semyon Varlamov was equally as good making 37 saves in the loss. With the win, Tampa Bay takes hold of first place in the Southeast Division.
Another night, another loss for the Devils and this one came with an embarrassing twist. Clayton Stoner’s first NHL goal proved to be the game-winner and it came in especially baffling fashion for New Jersey. Stoner’s dump into the Devils zone glanced off the boards in a funny way so that rather than going around the boards to a waiting Johan Hedberg, it went straight into the net. Cal Clutterbuck scored his 11th goal while Ilya Kovalchuk finally cracked double figures with his 10th. Yes, Clutterbuck outscoring Kovalchuk, we know. Jose Theodore stopped 21 shots in the win while Johan Hedberg stopped only 16.
Shane Doan is the captain for a reason in Phoenix. With a goal and an assist, Doan lead the way offensively for the Coyotes in giving them a two-goal win over the Jackets. Phoenix jumped out to a 2-0 lead before goals by R.J. Umberger and Jakub Voracek tied it up. The tie would be short lived though as Doan and Vernon Fiddler would score goals less than a minute apart to seal the win. Ilya Bryzgalov made 26 stops in the win.
Colorado 4 – Buffalo 3 (F/OT)
It wasn’t a pretty looking game with teams making boneheaded mistakes all night long, but it sure was fun to watch. David Jones‘ 2-on-1 power play goal in overtime sealed the deal for the Avalanche. Daniel Winnik had a goal and an assist while Tomas Fleischmann added two helpers. That gives Fleischmann 16 points in 16 games with the Avs. Thomas Vanek had a goal and an assist for Buffalo. Peter Budaj made 37 saves for Colorado while Ryan Miller stopped 30.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)