Jan 5, 2011, 2:32 AM EDT
Detroit got the win but they made it interesting for a bit. The Wings jumped out to a 3-1 lead before giving up goals to Theo Peckham and Sam Gagner in the third to knot it up at three. Todd Bertuzzi would score the back breaker though with 2:50 to play. It was Bertuzzi’s second goal of the game and it was followed up by a Darren Helm snipe to make it 5-3. Chris Osgood got the win, his 401st putting him two behind Grant Fuhr for ninth all time.
Tampa Bay 1 – Washington 0 (F/OT)
Dwayne Roloson led the way with 34 saves in his Lightning debut and Martin St. Louis scored the game-winner in overtime. Semyon Varlamov was equally as good making 37 saves in the loss. With the win, Tampa Bay takes hold of first place in the Southeast Division.
Another night, another loss for the Devils and this one came with an embarrassing twist. Clayton Stoner’s first NHL goal proved to be the game-winner and it came in especially baffling fashion for New Jersey. Stoner’s dump into the Devils zone glanced off the boards in a funny way so that rather than going around the boards to a waiting Johan Hedberg, it went straight into the net. Cal Clutterbuck scored his 11th goal while Ilya Kovalchuk finally cracked double figures with his 10th. Yes, Clutterbuck outscoring Kovalchuk, we know. Jose Theodore stopped 21 shots in the win while Johan Hedberg stopped only 16.
Shane Doan is the captain for a reason in Phoenix. With a goal and an assist, Doan lead the way offensively for the Coyotes in giving them a two-goal win over the Jackets. Phoenix jumped out to a 2-0 lead before goals by R.J. Umberger and Jakub Voracek tied it up. The tie would be short lived though as Doan and Vernon Fiddler would score goals less than a minute apart to seal the win. Ilya Bryzgalov made 26 stops in the win.
Colorado 4 – Buffalo 3 (F/OT)
It wasn’t a pretty looking game with teams making boneheaded mistakes all night long, but it sure was fun to watch. David Jones‘ 2-on-1 power play goal in overtime sealed the deal for the Avalanche. Daniel Winnik had a goal and an assist while Tomas Fleischmann added two helpers. That gives Fleischmann 16 points in 16 games with the Avs. Thomas Vanek had a goal and an assist for Buffalo. Peter Budaj made 37 saves for Colorado while Ryan Miller stopped 30.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)