Jan 5, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks forward scored 10 goals and four assists for 14 points in 15 games. That total leads all rookies in the month, but Couture is dominating compared to other Calder Trophy nominates in offensive categories overall.
His greatest competition for the individual award so far has come from two goalies: Michal Neuvirth and Sergei Bobrovsky. Those are the two other rookies to earn the monthly award so far this season, but each netminder is hitting a few hiccups at the moment. Neuvirth is no longer the clear starter in Washington as Semyon Varlamov is back and healthy while Bobrovsky is dealing with a struggling Philadelphia defense.
Could it be that the rookie of the year award is Couture’s to lose? Maybe. Check out his accomplishments so far, according to an NHL press release.
A first-round draft pick (ninth overall) of the Sharks in 2007, Couture leads all rookies in goals (18), shots (129), game-winning goals (five) and power-play goals (five), ranks second in points (27) and is tied for fourth in plus-minus (+8). The 21-year-old Guelph, Ontario native joins goaltenders Michal Neuvirth of the Washington Capitals (October) and Sergei Bobrovsky of the Philadelphia Flyers (November) as Rookie of the Month winners this season.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)