Jan 5, 2011, 7:33 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks forward scored 10 goals and four assists for 14 points in 15 games. That total leads all rookies in the month, but Couture is dominating compared to other Calder Trophy nominates in offensive categories overall.
His greatest competition for the individual award so far has come from two goalies: Michal Neuvirth and Sergei Bobrovsky. Those are the two other rookies to earn the monthly award so far this season, but each netminder is hitting a few hiccups at the moment. Neuvirth is no longer the clear starter in Washington as Semyon Varlamov is back and healthy while Bobrovsky is dealing with a struggling Philadelphia defense.
Could it be that the rookie of the year award is Couture’s to lose? Maybe. Check out his accomplishments so far, according to an NHL press release.
A first-round draft pick (ninth overall) of the Sharks in 2007, Couture leads all rookies in goals (18), shots (129), game-winning goals (five) and power-play goals (five), ranks second in points (27) and is tied for fourth in plus-minus (+8). The 21-year-old Guelph, Ontario native joins goaltenders Michal Neuvirth of the Washington Capitals (October) and Sergei Bobrovsky of the Philadelphia Flyers (November) as Rookie of the Month winners this season.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 149
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (149)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)