Jan 5, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks forward scored 10 goals and four assists for 14 points in 15 games. That total leads all rookies in the month, but Couture is dominating compared to other Calder Trophy nominates in offensive categories overall.
His greatest competition for the individual award so far has come from two goalies: Michal Neuvirth and Sergei Bobrovsky. Those are the two other rookies to earn the monthly award so far this season, but each netminder is hitting a few hiccups at the moment. Neuvirth is no longer the clear starter in Washington as Semyon Varlamov is back and healthy while Bobrovsky is dealing with a struggling Philadelphia defense.
Could it be that the rookie of the year award is Couture’s to lose? Maybe. Check out his accomplishments so far, according to an NHL press release.
A first-round draft pick (ninth overall) of the Sharks in 2007, Couture leads all rookies in goals (18), shots (129), game-winning goals (five) and power-play goals (five), ranks second in points (27) and is tied for fourth in plus-minus (+8). The 21-year-old Guelph, Ontario native joins goaltenders Michal Neuvirth of the Washington Capitals (October) and Sergei Bobrovsky of the Philadelphia Flyers (November) as Rookie of the Month winners this season.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5