Jan 5, 2011, 4:27 PM EST
If you’ve lost track of the Flyers while they’ve been on their five-game road trip, things have not gone well for them defensively. They’ve gone 2-2 on their road swing and they’ve given up 17 goals in the four games they’ve played so far. For a Flyers team that prided themselves on solid defensive play and goaltending, that’s just not getting it done. Those bad numbers also coincide with the absence of Chris Pronger who went down with a broken foot.
Today, the Flyers got some good news as Pronger was given the green light to resume skating with the team. Pronger had two screws put into his foot to help it heal up better and for the Flyers this news comes at a great time. Pronger’s presence is sorely missed in the Philly lineup as they’re not as physical nor are they as intimidating. They’re just also not as good.
Without Pronger, the Flyers have been using Oskars Bartulis to fill out the defensive top six. Kimmo Timonen has also been battling injuries as well making the situation a lot harder for Philly. Pronger is the man that makes it all work though and with him getting back eventually, that’s a good thing for the Flyers.
- Sunny skies forecast for Winter Classic — problematic? 0
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 13
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 2
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 77
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3