Jan 5, 2011, 4:27 PM EDT
If you’ve lost track of the Flyers while they’ve been on their five-game road trip, things have not gone well for them defensively. They’ve gone 2-2 on their road swing and they’ve given up 17 goals in the four games they’ve played so far. For a Flyers team that prided themselves on solid defensive play and goaltending, that’s just not getting it done. Those bad numbers also coincide with the absence of Chris Pronger who went down with a broken foot.
Today, the Flyers got some good news as Pronger was given the green light to resume skating with the team. Pronger had two screws put into his foot to help it heal up better and for the Flyers this news comes at a great time. Pronger’s presence is sorely missed in the Philly lineup as they’re not as physical nor are they as intimidating. They’re just also not as good.
Without Pronger, the Flyers have been using Oskars Bartulis to fill out the defensive top six. Kimmo Timonen has also been battling injuries as well making the situation a lot harder for Philly. Pronger is the man that makes it all work though and with him getting back eventually, that’s a good thing for the Flyers.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)