Jan 5, 2011, 4:27 PM EDT
If you’ve lost track of the Flyers while they’ve been on their five-game road trip, things have not gone well for them defensively. They’ve gone 2-2 on their road swing and they’ve given up 17 goals in the four games they’ve played so far. For a Flyers team that prided themselves on solid defensive play and goaltending, that’s just not getting it done. Those bad numbers also coincide with the absence of Chris Pronger who went down with a broken foot.
Today, the Flyers got some good news as Pronger was given the green light to resume skating with the team. Pronger had two screws put into his foot to help it heal up better and for the Flyers this news comes at a great time. Pronger’s presence is sorely missed in the Philly lineup as they’re not as physical nor are they as intimidating. They’re just also not as good.
Without Pronger, the Flyers have been using Oskars Bartulis to fill out the defensive top six. Kimmo Timonen has also been battling injuries as well making the situation a lot harder for Philly. Pronger is the man that makes it all work though and with him getting back eventually, that’s a good thing for the Flyers.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)