Jan 5, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s been a while since we’ve seen Kris Draper be the sort of player that blows you away with his checking tenacity, his speed, and his ability to make life hell for opposing offenses. It’s been even longer than that since we’ve seen Draper do something on the offensive side of the puck that made us stop and say, “Where’d that come from?”
Last night against the Oilers, the Wings occasional fourth line leader got a chance to use his speed to his advantage and boy did he. After making things tough through the neutral zone, Draper dished off to speedster Darren Helm. Helm weaved into the zone and Draper took advantage of the space created by Helm’s puck handling. Helm centered a nifty pass through to Draper who then helped make fellow aged veteran Nikolai Khabibulin feel shame after getting deked out by Draper.
It may not look like much on the first couple glances, but watch the video through to the end where you’ll get a great shot of the subtle move Draper puts on Khabibulin to score.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 6
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22