Jan 5, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s been a while since we’ve seen Kris Draper be the sort of player that blows you away with his checking tenacity, his speed, and his ability to make life hell for opposing offenses. It’s been even longer than that since we’ve seen Draper do something on the offensive side of the puck that made us stop and say, “Where’d that come from?”
Last night against the Oilers, the Wings occasional fourth line leader got a chance to use his speed to his advantage and boy did he. After making things tough through the neutral zone, Draper dished off to speedster Darren Helm. Helm weaved into the zone and Draper took advantage of the space created by Helm’s puck handling. Helm centered a nifty pass through to Draper who then helped make fellow aged veteran Nikolai Khabibulin feel shame after getting deked out by Draper.
It may not look like much on the first couple glances, but watch the video through to the end where you’ll get a great shot of the subtle move Draper puts on Khabibulin to score.
- Report: No suspension for Lucic spear of DeKeyser 22
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 5
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 113
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 54
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 17