Jan 5, 2011, 5:36 PM EDT
Tampa Bay @ Pittsburgh
With Tampa Bay getting the win over Washington last night, all of a sudden this game is for the right to sit atop the Eastern Conference standings and both teams are treating it like one. Well, Pittsburgh hasn’t played since the Winter Classic so they’ll be itching to go. For Tampa Bay, a win over the Pens would be a mid-season crowning victory. For Pittsburgh, they’ll be looking to rebound after a lackluster effort in the Winter Classic. To say there’s a lot of talent on display here would be an understatement with Sidney Crosby going head to head with Steve Stamkos.
Carolina @ NY Rangers
The Rangers host the Hurricanes looking to end a two game slide that saw their offense disappear. In those two losses they’ve got just one goal and for a team that’s got Chris Drury back in the mix and a healthy Marian Gaborik, it’s curious at best. Tonight will be the first game this year without Michael Del Zotto after he was sent down to the AHL. If the Rangers defense tightens up, they’ll be able to get a better handle on Eric Staal and Jeff Skinner. Asking the slumping Rangers offense to get a few past Cam Ward, however, is a taller order. Carolina’s won three of their last four, but their last game was an overtime loss to Florida.
Atlanta @ Florida
Believe it or not, this game features a pair of teams that are playing some good, tough hockey of late. We’ve talked a ton about Dustin Byfuglien and the Thrashers but of late, it’s the Panthers that are stealing games. An OT win over Carolina in their last game which was preceded by Tomas Vokoun’s fifth shutout of the year in a 3-0 win over the Rangers. How do things shake loose in this one depends on the power play. The Panthers power play is awful having scored just 12 power play goals all year. Byfuglien alone has six goals on the man advantage.
Dallas @ Chicago
An old rivalry is renewed as both teams look to create a win streak. For Chicago, getting Jonathan Toews back into the lineup provided instant dividends in beating the Kings on Monday night. Dallas, meanwhile, looking to get more consistent as they’ve been trading off winning and losing games and how Kari Lehtonen handles things is a key to that. A better, more consistent Lehtonen means wins for Dallas. Getting James Neal back on track can do that too and after busting out with a goal on Sunday against St. Louis, perhaps the Stars can get their legs back.
Calgary @ Vancouver
Vancouver will look to continue being the top team in the NHL by going up against a Flames team that had their four game win streak dissolved by the Islanders on Monday night. The Canucks are riding a six game win streak and looking dominant while winning. Opponents aren’t scoring on them and they’re efficiency in beating them is quite incredible to see as they’re able to roll four lines that can get it done. Basically, this is the kind of play Canucks fans would sell their first born to get during the playoffs.
Nashville @ Anaheim
While the Ducks are without Ryan Getzlaf still, one team that won’t feel any sympathy for them are the Predators. The Preds are without Cal O’Reilly, Matthew Lombardi, and until recently, David Legwand. Legwand’s return to action the last two games has seen him notch three assists. The names might not be as flashy, but they’re important to Nashville’s success. The Preds have won two in a row while the Ducks are on a three game win streak. Expect this one to be a tough, hard-fought game with a pair of teams that look to skate through you rather than around you.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 73
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (74)