Jan 4, 2011, 11:14 PM EDT
Sometimes all it takes is one highlight to help explain how a team has played all year long. Tonight’s Devils-Wild game in New Jersey provided one such moment for the NHL’s worst team, the New Jersey Devils.
With the game tied at 1-1 early in the third period, the Wild just turned away a brief offensive flurry by the Devils. As the Wild headed the other way down the ice, Minnesota defenseman Clayton Stoner was merely doing his job by gaining the center line and dumping the puck in deep with a slap shot.
A funny thing happened along the way down the ice as the puck took a funny hop somewhere near the Devils bench. Rather than the puck sailing cleanly down the glass and boards on the way to a waiting Johan Hedberg. it bounced out quickly on its way towards an open net. Hedberg, already out behind his net to stop the approaching puck, was horribly out of position and couldn’t get back in the net fast enough to prevent the tumbling puck from going in the net.
For Stoner the goal was his first career NHL goal and turned into the game-winning goal as the Wild took out New Jersey 2-1 in Newark. For the terrible Devils, this one highlight seems to encapsulate their season perfectly. Despite best intentions, the bounces just didn’t go their way and a loss was earned.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)