Jan 4, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
It’s been a week in which the hockey world – at least the hardcore fans – found their attention diverted to two big events.
Obviously, the biggest group watched Saturday’s Winter Classic contest, as it was the highest rated regular season game in ages. Last night, something of a “niche” audience was enraptured by the prospect of the Canada-U.S. semifinal for the 2011 World Junior Championships, although that game ultimately ended up being a one-sided embarrassment. (It is a bit hard to believe that the Canadians only beat the Americans by one more goal that the Capitals beat the Penguins, considering how disparate the two games were from a competitiveness standpoint.)
There were many other games going on during the Winter Classic and there were plenty of contests taking place while those two teams full of future NHL prospects collided as well. One of those contests pitted the Florida Panthers against the Carolina Hurricanes.
Chris Higgins found himself in a partial breakaway last night, but Cam Ward would have nothing of it. He made a tough glove save to stop a deadly scoring chance, a stop we hope doesn’t slip totally under the radar. Watch the video below to see it.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 13
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)