Jan 4, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
It’s been a week in which the hockey world – at least the hardcore fans – found their attention diverted to two big events.
Obviously, the biggest group watched Saturday’s Winter Classic contest, as it was the highest rated regular season game in ages. Last night, something of a “niche” audience was enraptured by the prospect of the Canada-U.S. semifinal for the 2011 World Junior Championships, although that game ultimately ended up being a one-sided embarrassment. (It is a bit hard to believe that the Canadians only beat the Americans by one more goal that the Capitals beat the Penguins, considering how disparate the two games were from a competitiveness standpoint.)
There were many other games going on during the Winter Classic and there were plenty of contests taking place while those two teams full of future NHL prospects collided as well. One of those contests pitted the Florida Panthers against the Carolina Hurricanes.
Chris Higgins found himself in a partial breakaway last night, but Cam Ward would have nothing of it. He made a tough glove save to stop a deadly scoring chance, a stop we hope doesn’t slip totally under the radar. Watch the video below to see it.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)