Jan 4, 2011, 11:15 AM EST
It’s been a week in which the hockey world – at least the hardcore fans – found their attention diverted to two big events.
Obviously, the biggest group watched Saturday’s Winter Classic contest, as it was the highest rated regular season game in ages. Last night, something of a “niche” audience was enraptured by the prospect of the Canada-U.S. semifinal for the 2011 World Junior Championships, although that game ultimately ended up being a one-sided embarrassment. (It is a bit hard to believe that the Canadians only beat the Americans by one more goal that the Capitals beat the Penguins, considering how disparate the two games were from a competitiveness standpoint.)
There were many other games going on during the Winter Classic and there were plenty of contests taking place while those two teams full of future NHL prospects collided as well. One of those contests pitted the Florida Panthers against the Carolina Hurricanes.
Chris Higgins found himself in a partial breakaway last night, but Cam Ward would have nothing of it. He made a tough glove save to stop a deadly scoring chance, a stop we hope doesn’t slip totally under the radar. Watch the video below to see it.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 25
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)