Jan 4, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
It’s been a week in which the hockey world – at least the hardcore fans – found their attention diverted to two big events.
Obviously, the biggest group watched Saturday’s Winter Classic contest, as it was the highest rated regular season game in ages. Last night, something of a “niche” audience was enraptured by the prospect of the Canada-U.S. semifinal for the 2011 World Junior Championships, although that game ultimately ended up being a one-sided embarrassment. (It is a bit hard to believe that the Canadians only beat the Americans by one more goal that the Capitals beat the Penguins, considering how disparate the two games were from a competitiveness standpoint.)
There were many other games going on during the Winter Classic and there were plenty of contests taking place while those two teams full of future NHL prospects collided as well. One of those contests pitted the Florida Panthers against the Carolina Hurricanes.
Chris Higgins found himself in a partial breakaway last night, but Cam Ward would have nothing of it. He made a tough glove save to stop a deadly scoring chance, a stop we hope doesn’t slip totally under the radar. Watch the video below to see it.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 14
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)