Jan 4, 2011, 11:15 AM EST
It’s been a week in which the hockey world – at least the hardcore fans – found their attention diverted to two big events.
Obviously, the biggest group watched Saturday’s Winter Classic contest, as it was the highest rated regular season game in ages. Last night, something of a “niche” audience was enraptured by the prospect of the Canada-U.S. semifinal for the 2011 World Junior Championships, although that game ultimately ended up being a one-sided embarrassment. (It is a bit hard to believe that the Canadians only beat the Americans by one more goal that the Capitals beat the Penguins, considering how disparate the two games were from a competitiveness standpoint.)
There were many other games going on during the Winter Classic and there were plenty of contests taking place while those two teams full of future NHL prospects collided as well. One of those contests pitted the Florida Panthers against the Carolina Hurricanes.
Chris Higgins found himself in a partial breakaway last night, but Cam Ward would have nothing of it. He made a tough glove save to stop a deadly scoring chance, a stop we hope doesn’t slip totally under the radar. Watch the video below to see it.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 8
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 35
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 18
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32