Jan 4, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Almost two months ago, we discussed rumors that the Tampa Bay Lightning appeared to be eye-balling offensive defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron. It seems like those reports were founded on sound logic, as ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun passes along word that the team signed him to a one-year deal pending a clean bill of health.
I stand by what was written in November: the Lightning are already a pretty strong team on the power play. In fact, they’re currently tied for first in the NHL with 39 power play goals scored (personally, it’s more impressive to produce the highest total of goals on the man advantage than the highest percentage).
Yet while Bergeron is far from a necessity, the team was often relying on Martin St. Louis to work the point. He might still do so, but now they have versatility on the man advantage with Bergeron, St. Louis and somewhat disappointing sophomore blueliner Victor Hedman.
We’ll let you know if anything falls through with this signing, but it sounds like its a mere formality. Could be a solid pickup for the Lightning if it comes to pass.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)