Jan 4, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Almost two months ago, we discussed rumors that the Tampa Bay Lightning appeared to be eye-balling offensive defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron. It seems like those reports were founded on sound logic, as ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun passes along word that the team signed him to a one-year deal pending a clean bill of health.
I stand by what was written in November: the Lightning are already a pretty strong team on the power play. In fact, they’re currently tied for first in the NHL with 39 power play goals scored (personally, it’s more impressive to produce the highest total of goals on the man advantage than the highest percentage).
Yet while Bergeron is far from a necessity, the team was often relying on Martin St. Louis to work the point. He might still do so, but now they have versatility on the man advantage with Bergeron, St. Louis and somewhat disappointing sophomore blueliner Victor Hedman.
We’ll let you know if anything falls through with this signing, but it sounds like its a mere formality. Could be a solid pickup for the Lightning if it comes to pass.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (70)