Jan 4, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Almost two months ago, we discussed rumors that the Tampa Bay Lightning appeared to be eye-balling offensive defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron. It seems like those reports were founded on sound logic, as ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun passes along word that the team signed him to a one-year deal pending a clean bill of health.
I stand by what was written in November: the Lightning are already a pretty strong team on the power play. In fact, they’re currently tied for first in the NHL with 39 power play goals scored (personally, it’s more impressive to produce the highest total of goals on the man advantage than the highest percentage).
Yet while Bergeron is far from a necessity, the team was often relying on Martin St. Louis to work the point. He might still do so, but now they have versatility on the man advantage with Bergeron, St. Louis and somewhat disappointing sophomore blueliner Victor Hedman.
We’ll let you know if anything falls through with this signing, but it sounds like its a mere formality. Could be a solid pickup for the Lightning if it comes to pass.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 0
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 15
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 4
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)