Jan 4, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
Almost two months ago, we discussed rumors that the Tampa Bay Lightning appeared to be eye-balling offensive defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron. It seems like those reports were founded on sound logic, as ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun passes along word that the team signed him to a one-year deal pending a clean bill of health.
I stand by what was written in November: the Lightning are already a pretty strong team on the power play. In fact, they’re currently tied for first in the NHL with 39 power play goals scored (personally, it’s more impressive to produce the highest total of goals on the man advantage than the highest percentage).
Yet while Bergeron is far from a necessity, the team was often relying on Martin St. Louis to work the point. He might still do so, but now they have versatility on the man advantage with Bergeron, St. Louis and somewhat disappointing sophomore blueliner Victor Hedman.
We’ll let you know if anything falls through with this signing, but it sounds like its a mere formality. Could be a solid pickup for the Lightning if it comes to pass.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 10
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)