Jan 4, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
Despite the fact that the NCAA’s Frozen Four (and the full tournament itself) is technically hockey’s version of March Madness, it doesn’t generate the same amount of excitement. While many will argue that gambling plays a gigantic role in the huge popularity of the Final Four – and there’s no denying that, considering the widespread existence of office/family/friend/anyone with DNA pools – one of the other perks of watching those events is that you might catch the next professional basketball star in the making.
The World Junior Championships generate more passion and interest in part because they are a sneak preview of potential future NHL superstar talent. (The other big reason for the increased widespread interest comes from the natural competitiveness bred by patriotism and nationalism.)
Just watch that advertisement the IIHF and NHL Network has been running in which they spotlight two future Canadian stars (Drew Doughty and Steven Stamkos), American stars (Zach Parise and Ryan Kesler) and two Russian stars (Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin). You’ll see the inherent awesomeness of this tournament in that 30 second clip, although it’s much more than that.
The Canada-U.S. game turned out to be a laugher, but the prospect-loaded lineups justified the excitement leading in. Check out our favorite goal of the game – and the night – which featured three first round picks from the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. It began with a pass by Tampa Bay’s No. 6 overall pick Brett Connolly (brother of Buffalo Sabres center Tim) to Florida’s No. 25 pick Quinton Howden, who fired the puck past 11th pick and Dallas Stars prospect Jack Campbell to give Canada a 2-0 lead.
That ended up being the game winner and really crippled the will of a flat U.S. team. Check out video of the goal below.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 12
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 15
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 35
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)