Jan 4, 2011, 6:23 PM EDT
It seems like a good general rule: you hit the 400-win mark and people tend to give you awards. That’s what happened last week for Chris Osgood, who crossed that threshold and then received a goal of the night award and ultimately the goal of the week for December 27 through January 2nd.
The best part, though, is that the saves were very impressive.
Many people discount some of Osgood’s accomplishments based on the fact that he played behind some outstanding teams in his years with the Detroit Red Wings. It’s similar logic to those who try to downplay the achievements of Martin Brodeur. There’s certainly some validity to the fact that the two teams were elite, especially if you judge goalies based on individual stats (such as save percentage) as much as – if not more than – more team oriented numbers like wins. (Admittedly, I tend to weigh save percentage more heavily.)
On the flip side, both Osgood and Brodeur flourished in great environments and it seems kind of silly to judge them too harshly for doing so. And when you watch sequences like the one Osgood produced below, it’s clear that he wasn’t just in the right place at the right time.
Take a look at the poll results before we get to the video.
As you can see, Osgood dominated the voting. Check out video of saves from his 400th win below.
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 2
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55