Jan 4, 2011, 6:23 PM EDT
It seems like a good general rule: you hit the 400-win mark and people tend to give you awards. That’s what happened last week for Chris Osgood, who crossed that threshold and then received a goal of the night award and ultimately the goal of the week for December 27 through January 2nd.
The best part, though, is that the saves were very impressive.
Many people discount some of Osgood’s accomplishments based on the fact that he played behind some outstanding teams in his years with the Detroit Red Wings. It’s similar logic to those who try to downplay the achievements of Martin Brodeur. There’s certainly some validity to the fact that the two teams were elite, especially if you judge goalies based on individual stats (such as save percentage) as much as – if not more than – more team oriented numbers like wins. (Admittedly, I tend to weigh save percentage more heavily.)
On the flip side, both Osgood and Brodeur flourished in great environments and it seems kind of silly to judge them too harshly for doing so. And when you watch sequences like the one Osgood produced below, it’s clear that he wasn’t just in the right place at the right time.
Take a look at the poll results before we get to the video.
As you can see, Osgood dominated the voting. Check out video of saves from his 400th win below.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)