Jan 3, 2011, 12:35 PM EDT
Last year we saw Michael Leighton rise out of obscurity to take control of the Flyers goaltending job after Ray Emery went down with a season-ending injury. Leighton battled injuries himself but seized control of the starting job once again in the playoffs and led the Flyers to the Stanley Cup finals, a feat that earned him a new two-year contract with the Flyers.
After going down with a back injury in training camp and opening the door for Sergei Bobrovsky to steal a part-time starting job with the Flyers, Leighton is now the odd man out in Philly as the team has placed him on waivers. While Bobrovsky was the man who carried the Flyers for the first two months of the season, it’s been Brian Boucher who has done his part to keep things steady in goal. With that two headed attack and the Flyers being hard up against the cap, something had to give. Leighton’s two-year deal comes with a cap hit of $1.55 million and the Flyers could certainly use the flexibility.
Leighton’s been down this road before having been waived by the Carolina Hurricanes last season before being picked up by Philadelphia and becoming one of their heroes last year. With Tampa Bay having made a move already trading for Dwayne Roloson, the market for a useful goaltender is a bit thin.
If Leighton clears waivers he’ll likely head to the AHL and join Adirondack and give the Flyers the salary freedom they’re looking for that way. If there’s a team that could think about making a claim on Leighton it’s the Islanders. Yes, they traded away Roloson to Tampa Bay but unless they figure Nathan Lawson is the guy they can bank on to backup the fragile Rick DiPietro, it might not be a bad fit.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 38
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 99
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (99)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)