Jan 3, 2011, 1:33 PM EDT
Being Semyon Varlamov was pretty good this week. The Capitals netminder stopped 55 out of 56 shots he saw in the week, earned a shutout against Montreal and held the Penguins to just one goal in the Winter Classic in front of 68,111 fans in Pittsburgh. Doing all that was good enough to make Varlamov the NHL’s number one star of the week.
Varlamov has battled nagging injuries for most of this season, but now that he’s back and performing great the Capitals are reaping the benefits of that. Varlamov’s work against the Penguins on New Year’s Day was especially inspiring for the team as he battled through tricky conditions on the ice to play a quiet and strong game in goal. Earning the NHL’s weekly top honor is a credit to his solid play.
Phoenix’s Shane Doan did all right this week as well scoring six goals and adding two assists on his way towards winning the week’s number two star award. The Coyotes captain did well in the face of adversity for his team as the Coyotes went just 1-2-1 on the week. Now if everyone could follow Doan’s example they’d do a bit better.
Detroit’s Nick Lidstrom continues his great season and his two goal, six assist effort last week was good enough to earn the Red Wings captain the NHL’s third star. The Wings went 2-1-1 on the week and Lidstrom’s continued steady play is both remarkable and expected from the player Wings fans and players refer to as “The Perfect Human.”
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 19
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)