Rick DiPietro injured again just two days after Isles trade Dwayne Roloson; time to claim Michael Leighton?
Jan 3, 2011, 10:45 PM EST
For some players, we might as well consider it news when they’re not injured. In the NFL, it’s running back Fred Taylor and safety Troy Polamalu. For NBA fans, it used to be Grant Hill but now it’s Yao Ming.
In hockey, Marian Gaborik is high on the list, but New York Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro might be the new standard bearer for so-frequent-it’s-almost-funny injuries. Katie Strang and various other sources report that the often-hobbled netminder left tonight’s game against the Calgary Flames with what many believe is a groin injury.
(Some speculate that it might be a groin problem rather than his consistently wonky knees, but who knows?)
While even the most wishful thinker shouldn’t be surprised by this news, it stings a little more considering the fact that the Islanders recently traded their “real” starter Dwayne Roloson to Tampa Bay on Saturday. The prevailing wisdom on Twitter is that the Islanders might want to consider claiming Michael Leighton off of waivers since the Flyers placed him there because of their crowded crease thanks to the unexpected early rise of Sergei Bobrovsky. It would be quite the journey for Leighton, who would go from Carolina Hurricanes cast-off to Stanley Cup runner-up with the Philadelphia Flyers to a basement backstopper with the Islanders. If that happens, of course.
We’ll keep you updated on DiPietro’s injury – as well as whether or not the Islanders/some other team decides to claim Leighton – in the next day(s) or so.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)