Rick DiPietro injured again just two days after Isles trade Dwayne Roloson; time to claim Michael Leighton?
Jan 3, 2011, 10:45 PM EST
For some players, we might as well consider it news when they’re not injured. In the NFL, it’s running back Fred Taylor and safety Troy Polamalu. For NBA fans, it used to be Grant Hill but now it’s Yao Ming.
In hockey, Marian Gaborik is high on the list, but New York Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro might be the new standard bearer for so-frequent-it’s-almost-funny injuries. Katie Strang and various other sources report that the often-hobbled netminder left tonight’s game against the Calgary Flames with what many believe is a groin injury.
(Some speculate that it might be a groin problem rather than his consistently wonky knees, but who knows?)
While even the most wishful thinker shouldn’t be surprised by this news, it stings a little more considering the fact that the Islanders recently traded their “real” starter Dwayne Roloson to Tampa Bay on Saturday. The prevailing wisdom on Twitter is that the Islanders might want to consider claiming Michael Leighton off of waivers since the Flyers placed him there because of their crowded crease thanks to the unexpected early rise of Sergei Bobrovsky. It would be quite the journey for Leighton, who would go from Carolina Hurricanes cast-off to Stanley Cup runner-up with the Philadelphia Flyers to a basement backstopper with the Islanders. If that happens, of course.
We’ll keep you updated on DiPietro’s injury – as well as whether or not the Islanders/some other team decides to claim Leighton – in the next day(s) or so.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)