Rick DiPietro injured again just two days after Isles trade Dwayne Roloson; time to claim Michael Leighton?
Jan 3, 2011, 10:45 PM EDT
For some players, we might as well consider it news when they’re not injured. In the NFL, it’s running back Fred Taylor and safety Troy Polamalu. For NBA fans, it used to be Grant Hill but now it’s Yao Ming.
In hockey, Marian Gaborik is high on the list, but New York Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro might be the new standard bearer for so-frequent-it’s-almost-funny injuries. Katie Strang and various other sources report that the often-hobbled netminder left tonight’s game against the Calgary Flames with what many believe is a groin injury.
(Some speculate that it might be a groin problem rather than his consistently wonky knees, but who knows?)
While even the most wishful thinker shouldn’t be surprised by this news, it stings a little more considering the fact that the Islanders recently traded their “real” starter Dwayne Roloson to Tampa Bay on Saturday. The prevailing wisdom on Twitter is that the Islanders might want to consider claiming Michael Leighton off of waivers since the Flyers placed him there because of their crowded crease thanks to the unexpected early rise of Sergei Bobrovsky. It would be quite the journey for Leighton, who would go from Carolina Hurricanes cast-off to Stanley Cup runner-up with the Philadelphia Flyers to a basement backstopper with the Islanders. If that happens, of course.
We’ll keep you updated on DiPietro’s injury – as well as whether or not the Islanders/some other team decides to claim Leighton – in the next day(s) or so.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (82)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)