Jan 3, 2011, 6:01 PM EDT
With just five games going on tonight, the NHL schedule is a bit light. That’s OK because it’ll let us peek in a bit more occasionally on Team USA vs. Team Canada in the World Junior Championships semifinals at 7:30. If you’re more into the NHL though, there’s a couple games that pop off the list tonight that are worth keeping an eye on. All times are Eastern.
Boston @ Toronto
These two teams do still hate each other and the Bruins are still loving the fact that the Leafs are near the bottom of the NHL as they’ll get Toronto’s top pick in the 2011 draft thanks to the Phil Kessel deal. All is not all rosy in Boston though as the Bruins erratic play has some fans calling for coach Claude Julien to be removed. Toronto, meanwhile, is still living high off the beating they handed out to Ottawa on Saturday night. If Toronto can get one over on Boston in this one it could help make the calls for Julien’s removal to be a bit louder.
Florida @ Carolina
The Hurricanes look to make it four in a row as they face the Panthers. Florida is flying high after Tomas Vokoun’s shutout win over the Rangers yesterday. They’ll need to keep that momentum going as they’ll have to deal with Cam Ward tonight. That’s not an easy task, especially this season as Ward has been All-Star-like in his play. Considering the team’s inconsistency, it’s pretty remarkable.
Team Canada @ Team USA
It’s the semifinals of the World Junior Championships in Buffalo, NY. It’s a rematch of last year’s gold medal game and the one and only time these two get to face each other. The winner of this game moves on to the gold medal game to face either Sweden or Russia. The difference between this year and last year is that the United States go into this game as the favorites. Regardless of those standings, these two teams are #1A and #1B in the world at hockey at this level. Expect this to be a heated game with Canada having the advantage of the crowd as Canadians eat this tournament up like candy.
NY Islanders @ Calgary
Can the Islanders keep it going in Calgary? The Isles have been downright great of late but now they’ll need to do it with Rick DiPietro getting the majority of starts. DiPietro isn’t a bad goalie, you’re just worrying about when his next injury is coming. John Tavares‘ great play of late has also carried the team. Calgary, meanwhile has a four game win streak of their own they’re looking to continue, one where goaltending is carrying them. Over those four games they’ve given up just seven goals. Could this game actually turn out to be fun?
Chicago @ Los Angeles
A big game with an early start in L.A. for the Kings and they’ll have their hands full with a Chicago lineup that gets to welcome Jonathan Toews back to action after missing a couple games with a shoulder injury. Both teams roll into this game with three game losing streaks with some ugly losses mixed in for both of them. With Toews back, that could mean problems for the Kings.
Vancouver @ San Jose
This too should make for a fun game and with the Canucks and their fans going ga-ga over having the top record in the NHL, this game screams out for a humbling defeat for Vancouver. I don’t say that out of spite, I say that after looking through the Canucks franchise history of fortune. Seriously though, the Canucks are playing some all-round solid hockey. Getting inspired performance out of Jeff Tambellini and with Alex Burrows and Ryan Kesler playing better, smarter hockey the Canucks look to be a nightmare to deal with. For the inconsistent Sharks, that doesn’t bode very well, even at home.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)