Jan 2, 2011, 12:42 AM EST
With all the money, egotism and violence that surrounds sports, it’s easy for people to lose track of the ultimate aim: to have fun and entertain.
While Alex Ovechkin certainly makes his fair share of money, boasts a bigger-than-life personality and throws some very violent checks, he earned legions of hockey fans by being a blast to watch. It’s simple why he’s so fun to watch, too: it’s clear that he often has a boisterously good time.
An event like the 2011 Winter Classic must be to Ovechkin what a pizza and cheesecake buffet would be like for a portly child, then. It’s funny that a few people somehow took Mike Knuble’s speech during the first episode of HBO’s 24/7 series as a sign that Ovechkin’s leadership might be lacking, as it’s obvious that the Russian superstar is the motor that drives the Capitals machine.
Watch as he engages in various hand shake bonding experiences from the fist bump/explosion to whatever you want to call his elaborate exchange with Alexander Semin and stick around for his various outbursts during the game in the video below.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)