Jan 2, 2011, 12:42 AM EDT
With all the money, egotism and violence that surrounds sports, it’s easy for people to lose track of the ultimate aim: to have fun and entertain.
While Alex Ovechkin certainly makes his fair share of money, boasts a bigger-than-life personality and throws some very violent checks, he earned legions of hockey fans by being a blast to watch. It’s simple why he’s so fun to watch, too: it’s clear that he often has a boisterously good time.
An event like the 2011 Winter Classic must be to Ovechkin what a pizza and cheesecake buffet would be like for a portly child, then. It’s funny that a few people somehow took Mike Knuble’s speech during the first episode of HBO’s 24/7 series as a sign that Ovechkin’s leadership might be lacking, as it’s obvious that the Russian superstar is the motor that drives the Capitals machine.
Watch as he engages in various hand shake bonding experiences from the fist bump/explosion to whatever you want to call his elaborate exchange with Alexander Semin and stick around for his various outbursts during the game in the video below.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)