Jan 2, 2011, 12:42 AM EDT
With all the money, egotism and violence that surrounds sports, it’s easy for people to lose track of the ultimate aim: to have fun and entertain.
While Alex Ovechkin certainly makes his fair share of money, boasts a bigger-than-life personality and throws some very violent checks, he earned legions of hockey fans by being a blast to watch. It’s simple why he’s so fun to watch, too: it’s clear that he often has a boisterously good time.
An event like the 2011 Winter Classic must be to Ovechkin what a pizza and cheesecake buffet would be like for a portly child, then. It’s funny that a few people somehow took Mike Knuble’s speech during the first episode of HBO’s 24/7 series as a sign that Ovechkin’s leadership might be lacking, as it’s obvious that the Russian superstar is the motor that drives the Capitals machine.
Watch as he engages in various hand shake bonding experiences from the fist bump/explosion to whatever you want to call his elaborate exchange with Alexander Semin and stick around for his various outbursts during the game in the video below.
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 21
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day on PHT 11