Jan 2, 2011, 12:42 AM EDT
With all the money, egotism and violence that surrounds sports, it’s easy for people to lose track of the ultimate aim: to have fun and entertain.
While Alex Ovechkin certainly makes his fair share of money, boasts a bigger-than-life personality and throws some very violent checks, he earned legions of hockey fans by being a blast to watch. It’s simple why he’s so fun to watch, too: it’s clear that he often has a boisterously good time.
An event like the 2011 Winter Classic must be to Ovechkin what a pizza and cheesecake buffet would be like for a portly child, then. It’s funny that a few people somehow took Mike Knuble’s speech during the first episode of HBO’s 24/7 series as a sign that Ovechkin’s leadership might be lacking, as it’s obvious that the Russian superstar is the motor that drives the Capitals machine.
Watch as he engages in various hand shake bonding experiences from the fist bump/explosion to whatever you want to call his elaborate exchange with Alexander Semin and stick around for his various outbursts during the game in the video below.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 30
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5