Jan 2, 2011, 12:42 AM EDT
With all the money, egotism and violence that surrounds sports, it’s easy for people to lose track of the ultimate aim: to have fun and entertain.
While Alex Ovechkin certainly makes his fair share of money, boasts a bigger-than-life personality and throws some very violent checks, he earned legions of hockey fans by being a blast to watch. It’s simple why he’s so fun to watch, too: it’s clear that he often has a boisterously good time.
An event like the 2011 Winter Classic must be to Ovechkin what a pizza and cheesecake buffet would be like for a portly child, then. It’s funny that a few people somehow took Mike Knuble’s speech during the first episode of HBO’s 24/7 series as a sign that Ovechkin’s leadership might be lacking, as it’s obvious that the Russian superstar is the motor that drives the Capitals machine.
Watch as he engages in various hand shake bonding experiences from the fist bump/explosion to whatever you want to call his elaborate exchange with Alexander Semin and stick around for his various outbursts during the game in the video below.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)