Jan 2, 2011, 12:09 AM EST
Sure, the weather produced rain (and the requisite delay) instead of Buffalo’s snow globe effect. And maybe there wasn’t a storybook moment like Sidney Crosby‘s shootout game winner in that same 2008 Winter Classic.
But those minor quibbles aside, the 2011 Winter Classic was a fantastic event. The Washington Capitals beat the Pittsburgh Penguins 3-1, but the real winners were hockey fans (but hardcore and new), who were treated to a hard-fought game between two teams who truly dislike one another. The game featured a lot of rugged play and a couple ugly goals, but there were also some brilliant moments, even without a goal (that counted) by Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin.
Check out the game’s highlights in the video below.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)