Jan 2, 2011, 12:09 AM EDT
Sure, the weather produced rain (and the requisite delay) instead of Buffalo’s snow globe effect. And maybe there wasn’t a storybook moment like Sidney Crosby‘s shootout game winner in that same 2008 Winter Classic.
But those minor quibbles aside, the 2011 Winter Classic was a fantastic event. The Washington Capitals beat the Pittsburgh Penguins 3-1, but the real winners were hockey fans (but hardcore and new), who were treated to a hard-fought game between two teams who truly dislike one another. The game featured a lot of rugged play and a couple ugly goals, but there were also some brilliant moments, even without a goal (that counted) by Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin.
Check out the game’s highlights in the video below.
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 1
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 25
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 6
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8