Jan 1, 2011, 9:56 PM EDT
It’s the fight that will go down in Winter Classic history as the best one to date. Sure it’s just the second fight in Winter Classic history, but it’s definitely the best. During a scoreless first period, Mike Rupp of Pittsburgh and John Erskine dropped the gloves and settled their differences with a legendary heavyweight battle.
The two came together deep in the Caps end as they bumped each other at the side of Semyon Varlamov’s net. They said some words, they shook off their gloves and started throwing haymakers. You can pick whoever you’d like as the winner, but truth be told, we all win for getting to see it.
Check out our exclusive NBC video to see for yourself.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)