Jan 1, 2011, 9:56 PM EDT
It’s the fight that will go down in Winter Classic history as the best one to date. Sure it’s just the second fight in Winter Classic history, but it’s definitely the best. During a scoreless first period, Mike Rupp of Pittsburgh and John Erskine dropped the gloves and settled their differences with a legendary heavyweight battle.
The two came together deep in the Caps end as they bumped each other at the side of Semyon Varlamov’s net. They said some words, they shook off their gloves and started throwing haymakers. You can pick whoever you’d like as the winner, but truth be told, we all win for getting to see it.
Check out our exclusive NBC video to see for yourself.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)