Jan 1, 2011, 9:56 PM EDT
It’s the fight that will go down in Winter Classic history as the best one to date. Sure it’s just the second fight in Winter Classic history, but it’s definitely the best. During a scoreless first period, Mike Rupp of Pittsburgh and John Erskine dropped the gloves and settled their differences with a legendary heavyweight battle.
The two came together deep in the Caps end as they bumped each other at the side of Semyon Varlamov’s net. They said some words, they shook off their gloves and started throwing haymakers. You can pick whoever you’d like as the winner, but truth be told, we all win for getting to see it.
Check out our exclusive NBC video to see for yourself.
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 5
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 32
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 4
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 45
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1