Jan 1, 2011, 9:56 PM EDT
It’s the fight that will go down in Winter Classic history as the best one to date. Sure it’s just the second fight in Winter Classic history, but it’s definitely the best. During a scoreless first period, Mike Rupp of Pittsburgh and John Erskine dropped the gloves and settled their differences with a legendary heavyweight battle.
The two came together deep in the Caps end as they bumped each other at the side of Semyon Varlamov’s net. They said some words, they shook off their gloves and started throwing haymakers. You can pick whoever you’d like as the winner, but truth be told, we all win for getting to see it.
Check out our exclusive NBC video to see for yourself.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 69
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (92)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (72)