Jan 1, 2011, 9:56 PM EDT
It’s the fight that will go down in Winter Classic history as the best one to date. Sure it’s just the second fight in Winter Classic history, but it’s definitely the best. During a scoreless first period, Mike Rupp of Pittsburgh and John Erskine dropped the gloves and settled their differences with a legendary heavyweight battle.
The two came together deep in the Caps end as they bumped each other at the side of Semyon Varlamov’s net. They said some words, they shook off their gloves and started throwing haymakers. You can pick whoever you’d like as the winner, but truth be told, we all win for getting to see it.
Check out our exclusive NBC video to see for yourself.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 7
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)