Jan 1, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
After one period of play in the 2011 Winter Classic, both teams came out flying on the wet surface at Heinz Field but weren’t able to punch home a goal, ending the period 0-0. Each team is coming out hitting and skating hard and fast despite the tougher-than-normal conditions.
The highlight of the first period came at 11:52 when Pittsburgh’s Mike Rupp and Washington’s John Erskine dropped the gloves and had themselves a fight fitting of a prime time setting under the lights with both players landing haymakers. Safe to say that these two easily topped last year’s Winter Classic brawl between Shawn Thornton and Dan Carcillo.
Goalies Semyon Varlamov and Marc-Andre Fleury made some great saves in the period to keep the score level at zero. Varlamov finished with 16 saves while Fleury had 12.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5