Jan 1, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
After one period of play in the 2011 Winter Classic, both teams came out flying on the wet surface at Heinz Field but weren’t able to punch home a goal, ending the period 0-0. Each team is coming out hitting and skating hard and fast despite the tougher-than-normal conditions.
The highlight of the first period came at 11:52 when Pittsburgh’s Mike Rupp and Washington’s John Erskine dropped the gloves and had themselves a fight fitting of a prime time setting under the lights with both players landing haymakers. Safe to say that these two easily topped last year’s Winter Classic brawl between Shawn Thornton and Dan Carcillo.
Goalies Semyon Varlamov and Marc-Andre Fleury made some great saves in the period to keep the score level at zero. Varlamov finished with 16 saves while Fleury had 12.
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 8
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 40
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)