Jan 1, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
After one period of play in the 2011 Winter Classic, both teams came out flying on the wet surface at Heinz Field but weren’t able to punch home a goal, ending the period 0-0. Each team is coming out hitting and skating hard and fast despite the tougher-than-normal conditions.
The highlight of the first period came at 11:52 when Pittsburgh’s Mike Rupp and Washington’s John Erskine dropped the gloves and had themselves a fight fitting of a prime time setting under the lights with both players landing haymakers. Safe to say that these two easily topped last year’s Winter Classic brawl between Shawn Thornton and Dan Carcillo.
Goalies Semyon Varlamov and Marc-Andre Fleury made some great saves in the period to keep the score level at zero. Varlamov finished with 16 saves while Fleury had 12.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 0
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 20
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22