Jan 1, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
After one period of play in the 2011 Winter Classic, both teams came out flying on the wet surface at Heinz Field but weren’t able to punch home a goal, ending the period 0-0. Each team is coming out hitting and skating hard and fast despite the tougher-than-normal conditions.
The highlight of the first period came at 11:52 when Pittsburgh’s Mike Rupp and Washington’s John Erskine dropped the gloves and had themselves a fight fitting of a prime time setting under the lights with both players landing haymakers. Safe to say that these two easily topped last year’s Winter Classic brawl between Shawn Thornton and Dan Carcillo.
Goalies Semyon Varlamov and Marc-Andre Fleury made some great saves in the period to keep the score level at zero. Varlamov finished with 16 saves while Fleury had 12.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38